Why does my son constantly root and root even after just eating?

It seems like my one month old son can never get full. We feed him 3-4 oz at a time (any more then that at once and he spits up) and he will not go more than 2hrs tops and is hungry again the majority of the time even immediatly after finishing a bottle he will begin to root around and start crying until we give him more. I'm wondering if he needs a thicker formula possibly with rice cereal in it even tho i know he may be to young for that or something because his poor tummy just never seems to get full. Anyone else have this issue with their child and figure out the case?

mylilboy00

Asked by mylilboy00 at 8:44 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies generally will eat twice the amount of formula that they will of breastmilk. My 7 week old is eating about 4 oz of breastmilk per feeding, so I imagine he'd need 8 oz. if we were to switch him over to formula...

Also, try burping him half-way through his meal to help prevent him spitting up after he's done.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 8:50 PM on May. 25, 2011

• He probably is wanting to comfort nurse, and this IS normal. Are you nursing or EPing? If nursing, how do you know exactly how much he's taking? Either way, I'd suspect he's rooting for comfort.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:20 PM on May. 25, 2011

• He's normal... he wants to suckle. NO RICE CEREAL unless doc recommends it for reflux. It can cause more problems years down the line than it fixes in the short run.

Don't look for "full." Their tummies empty as fast as you fill them, and they SHOULD be eating very frequently.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:19 PM on May. 26, 2011

• By the way. Every two hours is PERFECT at this age. Don't look for anything else for LONG while yet. 3-4 months at least.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:21 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I am bottle feeding, we tried 4 oz last evening and he still cried and cried and spit some up. We are even using Similac for spit up. I guess it just concerns me that he never seems full or comforted unless hes constantly eating, and even then he spits up alot.
    mylilboy00

Comment by mylilboy00 (original poster) at 1:30 PM on May. 26, 2011

• With formula, try smaller amounts, but a little more frequently. That sometimes helps. Also, does he take a paci? That can help him meet his sucking needs. He never seems comforted unless he's EATING, or SUCKING? BIG difference. If you haven't tried one, I would recommend a paci in your situation.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:27 PM on May. 26, 2011