Is happiness a choice? or sometimes ONE cant control how happy they are

?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I think it isnt 100%.... but I know people who always seem to find the good in life where as others always seem to focus on the bad.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 8:57 PM on May. 25, 2011

• yes, i believe happiness is a choice. some people can't/won't/don't find happiness in anything, and that's by choice.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:02 PM on May. 25, 2011

• To some extent, yes. But chemicals in your brain can shade it. For instance, I can spend all day thinking how thankful I am, (including journaling about it) focusing on the positive, smiling, being active, willing myself to be happy and imagine good things happening, and it's all fake and I can tell it. This can go on for weeks. The next day, the toddler poops on the floor, the kids mess up the house, I lose another work opportunity I love, cry for a minute, try to get annoyed and stressed, and yet I'm quite happy. Again, I do think you can fake it to others (which I think is quite foolish) and even yourself for a while, but there are chemical and life states that won't let you feel happy. Sometimes, you can change them (new job, exercise), sometimes not.

I'd say it's about half and half, with a good % on either side for not getting enough sleep, feeling sick/coming down with something, hormones, and caffeine.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:11 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Happiness is definitely a choice. I grew up in a family of people who DECIDED to be miserable (and still do). That is not me, and I refused to fall into that trap.

However, that said, I don't think it's a choice you can make 24/7. You can't magically "make" yourself feel instantly better after you get a speeding ticket, spill something on a favorite piece of clothing, have a fallout with a friend, etc, whatever bums you out at a particular moment. But there is a period to be upset and then a time to decide to be done with it! It's when you wallow in something or refuse to even try to find a solution/resolution that the misery begins.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 9:12 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I believe it is. We have emotions based on our thoughts. Some days it is easier than others, but still a choice. Pain however is a part of life. It is how we handle the bad times which show the strength and character we have to cope with things and enjoy life inspite of problems, struggles etc. around us.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:14 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My personal thoughts.

Yes happiness is a choice.. Feelings, including happiness, stem from our thoughts.. How we view things in life, how we choose to respond/react to things in life, how we choose to think creates our happiness. Of course there are things beyond our control in this life, things happen. However, how we choose to respond/react to those things is what creates/affects our happiness level when they happen and when they are over and done with. Each person is in control of and in charge of their own happiness.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 9:39 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Your choices and mental attitude definitely impact your edorphins and happy brain chemicals. But your conscious decision to do things that make you happy and think about healthy things is where it starts.
    lizi.clawson

Answer by lizi.clawson at 9:56 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I think happiness is being content with where you are, what you have, the choices you've made, and the dreams you pursue. If you have regrets, reconcile them and move on. We can't always live our lives looking over the fence and thinking how much greener the grass is on the other side. Sometimes, often times, that grass is green because it is full of cow pies and you will have to step in each and every one to get to the next fence to peer over. Work on the grass you have. There is happiness in there.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:02 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Happiness is a choice, but so many people don't realize that. If someone is not happy then they need to examine why so they can make the choices to make themselves happy. But you see, examination is a choice, changes are a choice, positive attitude is a choice, not giving up is a choice. It may not all be black and white for some that have dealt with great difficulties in their lives, but there's always choices to make that can affect how happy one is.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 11:23 PM on May. 25, 2011