Do you ever do your child's homework for them?

Full disclosure, my mother was a teacher for 47 years. I have a Master's Degree in Social Work. Having said that, this is not about the homework being too hard, or taking too long.

I have a hard time with what my son is studying sometimes. In order to learn his spelling words, the assignment is to write a story with them. Now, I know that writing a story will *also* teach him other things like handwriting, fine motor skills, keyboarding (sometimes he types his homework), creativity, increase his vocabulary, grammar, syntax, sentence structure, etc.

But honestly, sometimes I just don't want to dedicate the time that it would take to turn out a two to three paragraph story in order to make sense of 15 totally unrelated words!

If this were a long-term project, I would help him break it into steps, plan his time, etc. But I wouldn't do the work. But tonight, I just got caught in a bind. My husband got called into work and I had to attend an after school activity that he would normally take care of. Which meant I would not be available later in the evening to help DS. We cannot do homework in the morning, he still sleeps 11 hours a night! Instead of doing the kind of helping that I normally do, I just wrote most of the stupid story! I told him it was an end of the year gift, and since there is no spelling test this week, I saw no harm in it. I don't plan to make a habit of this, there's no way that this could become a slippery slope for me.

Have you ever done your kid's homework?

dwmom2008

Asked by dwmom2008 at 9:27 PM on May. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• LOL. I am sure it is fine. And I love social workers. I have no judgements either way. Call it a gift. I like that. And truly no harm done. Isn't the first rule in ethics is do no harm? I agree it is a rule for parenting too. Will this matter a week from now? A year? Will it prevent him from being a productive person? No! So no worries. I also believe in mental health skip days and being kind to yourself and your child. All the moms can boo but have you seen the answers on here? Believing it is okay to put hot sauce on a child's toung but not okay to do one homework assignment. No worries. You don't plan on doing his work, you called it a gift, and tgere it is. Plus he would have done it. It just would have taken you and him more time than what you had at the moment. And I also don't believe in homework. I send my child to a school that doesn't do homework as a general rule.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:16 PM on May. 26, 2011

• no
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:29 PM on May. 25, 2011

• No. My older kids are in 4th and 5th grade and I haven't ever done it for them. When my 5th grader was in 2nd grade we would sit for HOURS doing reading questions (he was diagnosed with autism as a toddler, has since "grown out"of the diagnosis, but still has issues with reading between the lines so this was really hard for him). It was like pulling teeth. Every once in a while I will throw my kids a hint, or an idea, but I won't ever do it for them. I do check their homework though and give them a chance to correct the things I see wrong.

Answer by missanc at 9:30 PM on May. 25, 2011

• No. This is something I refuse to do, and I agree - it sounds like a slippery slope. It doesn't teach a good lesson. Job too hard? Don't worry, someone else will come along and take care of it for you. I also refuse to give my son answers to multiplication tables, for example. He can figure it out himself with prompting from me, but never the answer.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:32 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Nope. It's not my grade...I already went to school!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 9:31 PM on May. 25, 2011

• No. I think they would expect you to do it all the time.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 9:33 PM on May. 25, 2011

• well hmmm the answer is I've typed a paper for my child before but I typed it from his hand written paper I didn't do the work for him just the typing.... does that count as a yes?
    traren

Answer by traren at 9:55 PM on May. 25, 2011

• never, but I will help him when he needs guidance. My son is in kindergarten.
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 10:20 AM on May. 26, 2011

• No. I have a 3rd grader and a 1st grader. I will help them find their answers by pointing them in a direction to find it themselves. I will explain a concept they are not grasping. I will serve as a sounding board. I will even give some high level ideas for a writing assignment.I won't, however, do the paper for them. Our school spends a lot of time focusing on writing in 3rd grade. DS had writing assignments almost nightly. There were plenty of nights he'd stare at a blank sheet of paper with no idea what to do next. I'd help him bounce around concepts and ideas just like I would my co-workers and friends who write for a living. :) I wouldn't write it for him though. My first grader has sentences to write using sight words. She has to come up with her own sentences. We sometimes run tight on time. We've gone late to things, left early and stayed up late, gotten up early to get things done - but I won't do it for them.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:16 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I have typed my kids papers (copying what they wrote)Have done coloring for them (when it's 'extra', they do the prioblems then they need to be colored) I have also helped with word searches.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:45 PM on May. 27, 2011