Does Autism run in families?

My youngest son who is three was diagnosed with autism a year ago. Now I am thinking my daughter who is seven might have aspergers. She is very awkward physically and socially. She just had some testing done in school and they said that she had a speech/language delay and the OT testing was way below average. I knew she was struggeling and with a lot of things but I have her in counceling because I thought a lot of it was due to he having issues dealing with her younger brother. Now it just is starting to make sense. She has fits over clothes, they have to be very loose, hates loud noises, can't ride a bike or anything that deals with coodination.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on May. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• They say autism has a genetic component. My cousin has autism and my son has aspergers.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 9:32 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Yes, if you have one child with autism there is a high likelihood that other siblings will exhibit certain symptoms of it as well. Out of my 5 kids, I have one with autism and one that was diagnosed with autism but at 11 has "outgrown" his diagnosis (no longer tests on the spectrum). I have so many friends who have multiple children on the spectrum.

Answer by missanc at 9:34 PM on May. 25, 2011

• At least half of the people I know with one child with Autism have a second one as well. I am not sure of the statistics involved but I am wanting to say there is something like a 25% chance of having siblings that are both on the spectrum. It has been a while since I researched it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:35 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Autism and Asperger's are under the same umbrella, meaning both kiddos have an issue with nerve health but it manifests differently. Fibromyalgia, Neuropathy, ADD, ADHD, severe allergies and asthma- same umbrella but different manifestation. Here, listen to a doctor lol: www.drkendalstewart.podbean.com
    lizi.clawson

Answer by lizi.clawson at 9:36 PM on May. 25, 2011

• i think so
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 9:41 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Okay I tried to look it up... the exact percentage but I go everything form 20%-50% and nothing recent. Maybe someone else will have better luck looking it up.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:42 PM on May. 25, 2011

• It might. We didnt know enough about it even 10 years ago to diagnose it properly.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:19 PM on May. 25, 2011