Am I overreacting?

My son is having minor surgery (still being put to sleep). There are only 2 parents allowed back in the pre-op and post-op rooms. My mother-in-law insists on coming to the hospital. She is one that worries and overreacts about little things. I don't really want her to come to the hospital, so I told her the rule about only 2 parents. She said she didn't care, she was coming anyway. She never asked us what we wanted or if it was ok with us. Am I overreacting about her coming?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on May. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm sure she means well, but I would be firm on her not coming if she was just going to make you or your child worried. Best to have a calm atmosphere.
    BowCheeky

Answer by BowCheeky at 9:36 PM on May. 25, 2011

• no , i dont think so , they probly let 2 people in at a time , if not and only parents , she gets to wait till he goes to recovery room probly
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 9:37 PM on May. 25, 2011

• It's ok for her to be supportive. She'll have to stay in the family waiting room. I wouldn't let her around the child if she will upset the child. If she tries I'd tell the nurse and have her escorted out. That way she can blame the nurse and not you

Answer by admckenzie at 9:37 PM on May. 25, 2011

• You're not overreacting, it's your child and you don't want any stress or drama that day. Talk to her again and stand your ground.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 9:37 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I would b honest and say that her reactions freak you out and your already stressed about your sons surgery, but you love her heart and he willingness to be there for her grandbaby, however if she can't control herself you'd like to just let her see your son when he's home and peaceful (Can you tell my MOC is like that too?)
    lizi.clawson

Answer by lizi.clawson at 9:39 PM on May. 25, 2011

• well you could go several ways.. suck it up.. be honest tell her no and get your husbands support too.. or maybe say i appreciate the thought but could really use you to be at the house and get it ready for when he comes home. special foods after surgery? maybe she could be making them. help you out with getting his bed ready for him.. etc. whatever you do, i wish your a son a speedy recovery :)
    shanesmom24

Answer by shanesmom24 at 9:39 PM on May. 25, 2011

• stay strong with your decision...she will just have to understand that she's not the boss (thats how we say it at our house...whoever is in charge is the boss) maybe ask her to come to the hospital and remain in the family waiting area and you guys could send updates out to her (if thats possible) good luck with your son's surgery!
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 9:40 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I think it's okay if she comes to the hospital as long as she stays in the waiting room, and maybe, since she's an overreacter she should not see ur child until after the procedure, that way she doesn't cause him to get nervous! But she's only worried same as u, so I wouldn't shun her from the hospital, plus that would probably cause in issue and that's the last thing u need right now with ur Childs issue going on. GL!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 10:52 PM on May. 25, 2011

• It would be rude to ask her not to come...she's trying to offer support.
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 10:58 PM on May. 25, 2011

• No your not overreacting.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 11:08 PM on May. 25, 2011