How do you potty train boys?

I am having problems getting my son to do the #2. Please give me advice because he is suppose to go to school in august! They want him trained.

Nakita22

Asked by Nakita22 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• they have these things at most stores that are great i hear! they are tinkle targets! you place them in the potty and they boys try and tinkle in the target! haha! or you can make it yourself but getting TP and drawing a target on it! its cheaper!
    chelseychae

Answer by chelseychae at 3:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• It sounds kind of gross but this is the advice I got in a parenting "how-to" class I took:

1) empty all poo-poo from his diaper into the little potty or toilet (whichever he uses). Say something like "Poo-poo belongs in the potty. Let's put it there." Then have him help flush.

2) Get a doll house toilet and help him make play poo-poo with brown play-doh. Play games of putting the poo-poo in the potty. Does it go in the toy car? No. Does it go on the blocks? No. Where does the poo-poo go?

3) Get the book "Everyone poops" and read it at least once a day. Kids find this book very funny. Even my 23 month old loves it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• My son will be 4 in September, and has been potty trained since 22 months. The way we aprroached it was the same way one of my co-workers did with both her boys. We put a potty in the bathroom to let him get used to it. When he was comfortable with the potty we took away his diaper. I would put big boy underwear on him that he picked out, and would let him just run around the house like that. We never had one accident! Anytime he would feel a little drop of pee in his underwear he would run to the bathroom and go potty because he did not want to be wet. He was fully potty trained in under 3 weeks!
    ChunkNTootsMom

Answer by ChunkNTootsMom at 12:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2008