Is it right for parents to leave funeral expenses behind for their children?

This goes for the grandparent/grandchild dynamic too. No life insurance, no assets, nothing. But then to leave their wishes of burial, headstone, and cemetery.

shanesmom24

Asked by shanesmom24 at 9:57 PM on May. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• If you have specific wishes then yes I do feel it is rude to not leave assets to cover the expense.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 9:59 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I paid to have them they can pay to bury me lol j/k no i wouldn't want to leave that to my kids me and dh are just starting to put money aside for this and we were going to look into burial lots and buy our own. We are not rich and they wont be let with much so what they are left with i dont want them paying for us.

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 10:00 PM on May. 25, 2011

• OMG,you just described my grandma! She left instructions for burial without any regard for expense or whether it was doable. my family ended up cremating her and giving her a service and it cost $8000! my aunt ended up using up all her savings to pay for it
    I've already told my mom that she'd better start squirreling money away because we couldn't get a loan for a pack of gum!!!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:00 PM on May. 25, 2011

• did they feed you cloth you pay all your bills for 18 plus years ? granted I would hope that they would take care of this too but if my parent left it to me yes I'd gladly pay it!!!

traren

Answer by traren at 10:01 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I guess it depends on the situation. Like my Mom just wants to be cremated, divided up into 5 ornaments and hung on a Christmas tree every year by her five kids.
    I don't really know if I want my Mom hanging on my Christmas tree though.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 10:02 PM on May. 25, 2011

• No its not right. If they leave the financial responsibility to children/grandchildren they forfeit any 'right' to their final wishes.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:02 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I want creamation. I do not want my children spending 1000s of dollars for a casket and burial. I do have life insurance, and plan to always have it.

My MIL arranged for her own cremation. She had the place all picked out, and everything was paid for. It made it very easy for her children to handle, when she passed.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:07 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I agree with Meooma -- If they do not have the funds to cover it, -- then "You get what you get and don't throw a fit."
    lol -- sorry -- my 4-year-old has been quoting that back to me today and it stuck in my head!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:08 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Oh, and my MILs urn sits on our living room shelf. She had her ashes divided among all 3 of her kids. We are happy to have honored that wish. Our DD knows that Grandma Marcia is always in our home, and she can talk to her whenever she wishes.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:09 PM on May. 25, 2011

• yes rude...
    Anonymous