Another death from a baby being left in a car.

Just saw this on the local news here in Austin...one year old girl was found in a truck at 1:30 this afternoon...I think it got up to 98 degrees here today...and she was actually alive but died later today at the hospital. My heart aches for this girl, the horror of that pain is unimaginable. Truly breaks my heart. And I have to ask, how can you forget your child is in your car??

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 10:13 PM on May. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• omg. My mother in law asked me once. "Aren't you afraid you'll leave somewhere and forget him?" It is so sad that things like this happen.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 10:19 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I did see one once where a couple had like 6 kids and got the groceries out of the van and both parents expected the other to get the kid out of the carseat. Hours later they realized she was still strapped in the van because both of them thought the other parent put her in her room since she was sleeping. I don't remember if she lived or not.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 10:22 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My ex MIL left my ex in a shopping cart in the parking lot when my ex was an infant. She got all the way home and unloaded her groceries before she realized she left him there. She called the store, 45 minutes later and luckily someone had brought him inside... But to this day, she thinks it's funny. She laughs and jokes about it all of the time.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 10:27 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Several years ago, this happened in my area and I totally understand how it happened. The parents changed their routine and the DAD was supposed to drop the child off at child care. The baby fell asleep and was quiet and he sort of just drove to work on auto pilot. A few hours later it hit him, but by then, it was too late.

I know sometimes I get on auto pilot and go the way I always do, even if I had planned to stop somewhere.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:27 PM on May. 25, 2011

• It's not as hard as you might think. This is actually a drawback to having rear-facing infant seats in the back seat. It's easy to forget that your child is in the back seat if he or she falls asleep and you're running around doing errands and whatnot.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022701549.html

"What kind of person forgets a baby?

In the last 10 years, it has happened to a dentist. A postal clerk. A social worker. A police officer. An accountant. A soldier. A paralegal. An electrician. A Protestant clergyman. A rabbinical student. A nurse. A construction worker. An assistant principal. It happened to a mental health counselor, a college professor and a pizza chef. It happened to a pediatrician. It happened to a rocket scientist. "

makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:30 PM on May. 25, 2011