How can I ease my two cats into living with a newborn?

I have two cats, male and female. They are not declawed. They have never bitten or scratched anyone. They are about 4 years old (a few months apart) and we have had them since they were kittens. Very loving to company and strangers. If anything, when there people they don't know or too many people around they just hang out upstairs.

They are basically my babies before my real baby comes into the world. I want to know what steps I can take to ease the change of having a new body in the house. I do not plan to let the cats in the nursery and I already know that I will have to monitor them whenever they are near the baby.

1stBabyBeeg

Asked by 1stBabyBeeg at 10:29 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Pets

• Bring home some clothing the baby has worn and place it where they like to lay, so they get used to the scent. Good Luck. When are you due ?
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:49 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Start keeping the nursery door closed now, so they're not freaked out when it happens AND there's a baby inside.

Our three cats took well over a month to come to terms that our baby is not leaving. One cat is still skittish around the baby, but the other two couldn't care less he's here.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:58 PM on May. 25, 2011

• We had 3 when I had our DD. One wanted to sleep in her room with her (in the rocker glider), one couldn't stand being near her, and one slept in her moses basket or crib when she wasn't in it. I just let them get used to her on their own terms. We still have one of those same cats (2 have since passed away) and that cat would let our DD use her as a pillow if we would allow it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:10 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Sounds good. I am due August 20th.
    1stBabyBeeg

Comment by 1stBabyBeeg (original poster) at 8:00 AM on May. 26, 2011

• You should not have a problem. Cats are very independent. They will probably just sniff and go about their business. Just don't let them in the babies room because they may want to curl up and sleep with the warm little bundle.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:33 PM on May. 26, 2011