Mother in Law

She Is a wonderful woman and she has done a great job at raising 2 boys but for some reason I don't want to leave my baby with her!! Has anyone else felt this way and can someone give me tips at getting over these feelings???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ~*Hugs*~..... GL, I've seen family members that did amazing jobs with their successful kids, but because they believe in "spanking", or other things we are against... I refuse to leave my kids alone with them!

If you can find no actual reason it could simply be those mommy instincts??? which means baby steps? Small bits of time unil you can force your way past the feelings....
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:53 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Just do it... Leave the baby. It is hard the 1st time, but you can call and check in while you are gone. Everything will be fine. It will be a good time for you to get some me time ( do something special for yourself) and she will love having the baby with her.... Relax, Look at it this way, since she has already raised children she is actually more qualified then you. How would you feel if you offered and someone else didn't want to leave their child with you ? Have fun !!
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:54 PM on May. 25, 2011

• If there is nothing you can specifically pinpoint as a problem, it probably just is new mother nerves. Like the othe post says you can always check in often and blame it on being a nervous mommy,
    kdwiegandt

Answer by kdwiegandt at 11:12 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I doubt it is your mother in law, but more that you aren't ready to leave the baby yet. Take your time. It will come, and it wont be as hard as you think.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:12 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I have these feelings about my in-laws and the three times I have left my children with them, I have regretted it. One time they lost one of my children and did not tell me until they casually mentioned how cute it was when his sister was so scared until they found him. The second time, they drove my child around in an improper fitting/improperly installed car seat and they let her take a pan out of the oven and she burned her hand, though not badly. The third time, I told them before I dropped the kids off that my oldest was running a fever, they said that was ok they would keep it mellow. I told them to call me if she got worse. I took one look at her when she got home and I knew something was wrong. Her temp was 104.5. I called once during the visit and MIL said she was fine. They are careless with my children and that is not ok. Just because they have been parents before, does not mean they are more qualified than you.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:05 AM on May. 26, 2011

• My mother is like khedy's inlaws. She is careless with me daughter and doesn't understand why I get upset. Her mother in law (my grandmother) was visiting from Florida and is a chain smoker, but while my daughter was with them she let her put her dirty nasty cigarette fingers in my daughters mouth. I LOST IT when I walked in and saw the baby. My mother acted like I was just being dramatic and said 'she won't die'. I was PISSED.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 6:27 AM on May. 26, 2011

• OMG I feel that same way, I love my mother in-law, but I don't like to leave baby with her. First she occassionally smokes, and she's on depression (very mild), she always hits his butt lightly (playful way) which I really don't like it, but we do need her to babysit and it seems to help her depression (makes her happier). Also, the time she raised her kids is about 30 years ago and everything has changed. I wish I can do everything myself or have my mom help.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 9:46 AM on May. 26, 2011

• i'm sorry to hear that :( maybe its just mom jitters? i dont have any problem leaving my baby with my MIL, but you shouldnt do anything you dont feel comfortable with. perhaps you spend time with her while shes playing with/watching the baby and the way they interact could change your mind? good luck to you :)
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 11:35 AM on May. 26, 2011