Why wont my son EVER eat?!?!

I am physically and emotionally DRAINED! My son will NOT eat, or he whines and whines and whines some more. It doesn't matter what I give him, he'd rather starve than eat anything. Oh, and he's definitely not sick, so he has no excuse! PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE!!!

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 10:44 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Can he 'help' cook? That is how I got my youngest to eat...have him help stir....get spices...pour in...anything that he is able to do.
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 10:46 PM on May. 25, 2011

• what have you offered him? go and get pedisure and mix with ice cream make a shake and let him drink it..
    traren

Answer by traren at 10:48 PM on May. 25, 2011

• What is he surviving on?  Not a judgement, just looking for a bigger picture.

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 10:48 PM on May. 25, 2011

• ~*Hugs*~... ask him? Sometimes letting them pick out what they like, or explain why certain foods are better for them, and than letting them help make it...

I love doing those mini pizzas! English muffins, pizza sauce, and those tiny pepperoni... and the boys love it... I do sauce, one does the cheese, and another adds the meat
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:48 PM on May. 25, 2011

• you just keep offering it. i'm in the exact same boat as you. i tried the pediasure, but it just made him full and honestly made it worse. what he used to eat, he doesn't eat anymore.

we try to have pizza once a week, homemade pizza. dh makes the dough (i suck at it) then sometimes the kids help me with the sauce and cheese. i then send the kids on their way while i hide some veggies in there :)

studies show, however, that you offer what's for dinner, don't make different plates for everyone based on their preference, you make what you make, offer it, if they don't eat, then they don't eat. they'll eventually get it. sorry, i have no link. also having family dinners at the dinner table helps too.

but i understand. i've been half tempted to give him dinner from the night before for breakfast, lunch, then dinner again until he eats it. it's frustrating! just stop with the snacks and offer healthy food instead. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:00 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Are you kidding? If you let them go hungry a few times they will eventually eat. If my DD does not eat what is put in front of her then she goes hungry until the next meal. We are not short order cooks and she will eat what is given to her unless she is given a choice for the meal. BTW she is almost 3 and knows the rules. Tonight she didn't want to finish her dinner and we told her that she gets nothing else. She listed everything that she wouldn't be allowed to have. You have to set the precedent or they will walk all over you and use "I don't like it" for an excuse for years to come.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:01 PM on May. 25, 2011

• WHen I asked my pedi about this he said, "When she gets hungry enough, she will eat." He was right -- but as others mentioned, try and get him involved -- let him pick out dessert (after he eats his meal)-- but remind hum during meal time that his fav ice cream (or whatever) is just waiting on him! Tempt him. If that dont work, just wait him out -- he WILL eat, I promise.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 11:01 PM on May. 25, 2011

• It sounds like he might be enjoying the attention he gets from not eating...when that pays off better than eating, he will keep refusing. I would offer meals, not make him eat, but not make him anything else either. He will not let himself starve. I am betting if you stop reacting to it, he will eventually think "this is no fun anymore, and I'm hungry".
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:20 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Lol... sounds so familiar... my DD is doing that too and I to have resorted to giving her food if she doesn't eat it then she goes until the next meal... the pediatrician said she will be fine... but I feel your pain...
    AyamiLove

Answer by AyamiLove at 11:34 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My 4 yr old son eats like a rabbit. He is so skinny I don't know where he gets his energy! Luckily though he does love fresh vegetables and fruit and drinks an insane amount of milk.

I don't know I guess if they aren't hungry, they just aren't hungry. What can you do?
    kdwiegandt

Answer by kdwiegandt at 11:53 PM on May. 25, 2011