What should I know about becoming a Navy Wife?

DH and I have been together for 8 years and we have a son together. He is thinking about joining the Navy. He is going to talk to a recruiter next week. What are some good questions I should make sure to ask or have him to ask? Please help. I've never ever thought that our family would be making this decision so and advice/imput would really help me alot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• what field is he looking into?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:03 PM on May. 25, 2011

• the questions you decide to ask need to be asked by someone you know in the navy, not the recruiter. honestly, they will tell you anything to get him signed in, even if that means to lie to him, because they have to have so many people recruited in a certain amount of time, and they get paid for each recruit. so if you honestly want to know something, ask someone that knows first hand.

he won't sign anything until he takes his ASVAB, so if he passes and he sees where he can go, then you can ask around about that certain job and what it's really like.

as for a being a navy wife, be prepared to move....although i do know someone who started here and has been here (va beach, the biggest naval area because we have 4 bases) for 16yrs and is planning on retiring here as well. also be prepared for drama. because you will find it.

cont
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:07 PM on May. 25, 2011

• find a career path in the navy that he can use in the civilian life too. there are so many different jobs/schools. some even give bonuses. how long his school will be? (after bootcamp) will you be able to live on the base that he goes to school at.? will you be able to spend time with him while he is in school ? also, have you both discussed leaving the state you are in or maybe even country? when he get stationed somewhere the family moves. sub time? ship time? pay grade? best of luck to your family :)
    shanesmom24

Answer by shanesmom24 at 11:11 PM on May. 25, 2011

• make sure you can handle the kids on your own for a long period of time (up to 9 months). remember you marry the military when he joins, he's not "yours" anymore, he's the property of the military. you honestly have no say so in anything. also what you do reflects him (as does always, but in the military it's more "out there") out in the civi world, if your kids act up, like get in trouble all the time, kicked out of school, runs away, gets pulled over, steals from the store, ect, they reflect him too, but it doesn't effect his job. as for the military, your dh will get into trouble for not being able to keep his kids in order. even when he's out to sea, he will still get into trouble, or get a firm talking too. doesn't matter if he's there or not, he's still responsible.

i'm just putting this all out there, not saying yall have or will have problems later. i'm just laying out the facts. i've seen all of this first hand
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:12 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I am a Navy veteran, as is my husband. I think it's a wonderful choice, but know that the possibility of him leaving for deployments is high, and you'll need to be strong enough to trust eachother during the distance, and be strong enough to hold down your household while he is gone.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 11:18 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Make sure that he reads EVERYTHING before he signs anything. Don't believe everything (or even most things) that the recruiter tells him/you. They have a quota to fill and they will do anything to get that, including lie to you. After he joins, don't believe anything that "big Navy" tells you. Be prepared to move. Be prepared to be on your own for a greater part of your marriage after he joins. Depending on the type of job that he goes for, he could get bonuses for enlistment/reenlistment. He will take the ASVAB. That will determine the type of job that he's qualified for. Make sure to ask about how long the school is for. He needs to think about the type of boat that he would like to go to. For my DH's job, he could only go to either aircraft carriers or subs. If he goes subs, be prepared to not hear from him for long periods. But, be prepared to be proud of the choices that he makes.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 1:05 AM on May. 26, 2011

• He is looking into the seabees. He is 28 and has been dOint construction work for 10 years and it's something henlikes and is good at.

Thanks ladies for everything. We have a few friends in the navy that we have talked to. But hendiesnt have a family and started right after high school.

We have 1 son and 3 boys and I've been alone with dh traveling for work for 3 months at a time.

I'm more nervous about talking with a recruited because I know they only say what they think you want to hear to get you to sign on.

I'll update everyone when we figure out what's going on n

Thanks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:23 AM on May. 26, 2011

• seabees are a bit different, some go on a ship, some don't...depends on what they're doing. the seabees i know, actually deploy, kind of like the army, they're on land, not water. only difference is unlike the army, they can't go over 9 months.

army and navy always say theirs is better than the other. my dh and our navy friends always play around like that, nothing serious, but dh doesn't say that about the seabees. he said they're actually pretty cool lol. not sure why...guess it's cuz they are relatively close to what the army does...

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:20 PM on May. 26, 2011