What is the best thing you can do to help a child with ADD?

My son is 13 and has been diagnosed with ADD. The school is helping him, but he may have to repeat the grade. His is very smart but lazy, inconsistent, and not motivated. It does not seem to bother him that he may not be promoted to the next grade with his friends. I have been against meds to help him, but there are so many new medications for ADD maybe one would help him stay focused, but than I have to get him to take it which is another problem. He is very difficult. I really do not know what to do, I have taken things away from him, he does not care, but I want him to do good in school, I am lost. Do I let him repeat the grade and maybe he will learn a lesson??

kysmom091

Asked by kysmom091 at 11:20 PM on May. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I was the ADD child in school. Some of the weirdest things helped me. One of the most helpful things was play-doh. I would sit there and work it around in my hand while the teacher was talking. The fact that my hands were busy somehow let me pay attention to the teacher and concentrate on the task at hand. I still keep play-doh on my desk for times when I can't concentrate.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:09 AM on May. 26, 2011