Do you buy baby food or make it??

Which is better??
What are the pros and cons of each?

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 11:39 PM on May. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I did both. I would guess it's better to make it, because you know exactly what's in it, it's fresh, and no preservatives. Also more options. There isn't much work that goes into making it. You can puree if you want, but a lot of moms just fork mash, or cut the foods into bite size pieces for self feeding. Jars are convenient for on the go and if you're in a rush.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:17 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I make it. Pros are that you know exactly what goes into the food that you're feeding your child. Also, it's cheaper. Instead of buying a bunch of little jars for $0.60 each, buy the same food for a couple of dollars and make enough to freeze and feed your child for weeks/months. You can give your baby whatever you want and don't have to search the store shelves for it in the little jar. I've made baby food for both my kids and I haven't found any cons other than a couple of extra dishes (whatever you use to puree the food and the ice cube trays to freeze the food).
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 12:25 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I make my baby food and my family was deadset against it. They didn't understand what my problem was with 'regular baby food' and why on earth I would rock the boat by making it myself. They claimed it would take forever and be a waste of my time. In reality, I spend Sunday afternoons cooking up whatever I'm making for her. I cook up the whole thing (a squash, pears, sweet potatoes) and then freeze them in ice cube trays. It's super easy using the food processor and that thing has totally paid for itself already (it was $40).
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 6:58 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I try to Make it, but mostly I buy, I work so it's more convenient to have it ready to go.
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 11:01 AM on May. 26, 2011