My son has a knot on his head.

When my 2 month old was born he had a lump on his head that was squishy when you touched it. It felt that way for about a month and then turned hard. Has anyone else noticed these types of knots on their childs head?

proudmama_2boys

Asked by proudmama_2boys at 6:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Probably just his bones growing together. No human has a totally smooth head. Im sure it's normal. As your baby's Dr next time you see them and im sure they will agree no head is smooth.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:49 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Your baby should have two "soft spots" on his head called fontanelles. There is one at the top of the baby's head and one in the back. They are there so that the skull can compress during birth. they harden over time and are completely solid by age 3.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My baby has a lump on his head too... I asked about it at his last appointment, he said as long as it's not getting bigger it probably fine. I would ask your doctor next time to take a peek and see what they think.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• thank you all for your answers. it worried me alot because his daddy and my little brother have epilepsy and my brother has cerebral palsy...his daddy has a lump on his head too. my grandfathers mother had a baby who also had a lump on his head and he passed away from sids. i've been freaking out over it and as im sure all of you know as parents thinking about your kids being hurt in anyway is a terrible pain that will stay with you until you get to the bottom of the problem. i am going to take him to his fathers neurologist just to have some tests ran and see what they think. thank you all so much again
    proudmama_2boys

Answer by proudmama_2boys at 8:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• The bump on his head could be from his birth....was he born vaginally and did they use forceps? I would have you pediatrician look at it. Oh and I just wanted to add that even though your brother has CP doesn't mean that your baby does. CP is not genetic or "contagious".....it's a brain injury that happens before during or right after birth.
    floyd835

Answer by floyd835 at 11:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My guy has a big lump from the vacuum and a divot from his soft spot. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:06 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i had a c section and they didnt use any special tools or anything i didnt bring it up to his pediatrician but i asked the nurse when she came to the house for the home checkup after he was born. i will ask his pediatrician to see what she says thank you. and floyd thank you for letting me know that...i was not aware that it wasnt genetic. i dont think my mother was either...
    proudmama_2boys

Answer by proudmama_2boys at 12:56 AM on Dec. 9, 2008