How can I get my 5 Yr. son to listen?

I just want trevor to listen, not to lies, and to be respectful enough to stay out of trouble. He lies all the time. He is not repectful. he only thinks he is doing everything right when he is doing nothing at all right! His dad left us when Trevor was 2 1/2 Yrs and He is acting out! Please help someone!

cllocke33

Asked by cllocke33 at 11:58 PM on May. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• well I have been raising my son since 1 years old and what i have learned is boys need discipline. If he acts up take something from him that he loves. If he does it again take something else.Boys learn by you telling them everyday and keeping on them.I have my son ask me everything before he gets it he has reading time and he only gets to play games or toys when he has listened and done something to help me first and he is 5 years old.
    beauti_ful

Answer by beauti_ful at 1:19 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Beat his ass and at the same time u have to come to that somewhere down the line you may have been letting him getting away wit shit just cause his daddy left
    benitaapplebomb

Answer by benitaapplebomb at 7:00 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Aw, I know it can see ovewhelming, but try and be positive first and foremost. The second is set a boundary that needs to be held up. Every child is different, but as a teacher I praise and praise for wonderful behavoir and set guidelines of what I expect from my "kids" from the get go. If a child acts out, I get down on their level and ask them what the problem is, or what they want. Then I ask them what a better way to handle it would be. I can't imagine doing this alone, but good luck!!
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 10:26 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I would probably re-evaluate parenting style.
    Consider looking into a class, books, maybe read about non-violent communication, talk with teachers maybe.

Acting out happens for many reasons, maybe finds that the attention for negative behavior is better than the attention for positive.

How do you know he isn't listening? How do you talk to/with him?

It's normal and expected for children this age to lie.
    What kind of lies, like stories?
    Try not to look at him with the eyes of an adult. Don't expect him to talk to you like he is an adult.
    He is a child and is creative and probably discovering that he gets a lot of attention for big stories.

I usually respond to children like:
    "Really, well that is interesting." As if it is the truth.

Lots of thoughts and ideas here--- I encourage you to speak with his teacher if he is in school. Discover what is normal and how to work with his yo
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:41 AM on May. 27, 2011

• oops, cut off.

Work with his youth, his creativity, his needs.

God luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:42 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Work with him, talk to him
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:58 AM on Jun. 10, 2011