Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help! Can you go to a regular Dr. for acne instead of a dermatologist?

I have developed a case of cystic acne for months now, and I now have acne on my back too. I do not have the money to go to a dermatologist. They're expensive, but from everyone I've talked to who has went, they said they prescribe you a certain antibiotic unless it's a severe case, then they might put you on accutane or something, but mine isn't that bad. I was wondering if I can consult a regular Dr. and have them prescribe me the antibiotics? It's a lot cheaper. Basically I just want to know if you can go to a regular Dr. about acne.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Health

Answers (6)
  • call your doctor office and see. my sons pedi wrote him a script when he was a teen . i had asked the pedi for a refferal to a derm and he said he was comfortable ( mild case) with writing a script for some creme. i would think most doctors are ok with it :)

    Answer by shanesmom24 at 12:34 AM on May. 26, 2011

  • Sure you can. If they feel they can't help you, they'd be the first to tell you. But I see prescriptions come into pharmacy quite frequently from family doctors who prescribe acne meds.

    Answer by Kathy675 at 12:35 AM on May. 26, 2011

  • Sure you can. I'm not sure they will do more than give a prescription though. I have always had cystic acne and I had treatments at the dermatologist as well as meds.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:37 AM on May. 26, 2011

  • I've had my regular family DR. prescribe medication for a skin condition I had once. I'm pretty sure your Dr. could. Just call the office and ask to speak with one of his nurses and ask them before you make an appt. They take callls like that all of the time. Good luck!

    ~Moms helping moms. Learn how you can work frome home.

    Answer by tools4mom at 12:37 AM on May. 26, 2011

  • Thank You ladies!

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:12 AM on May. 26, 2011

  • Always go to your primary care or regular docotr for anything. He/She will refer you to a specialist if necessary, but I'm sure your regular doctor can help you with this.

    Answer by blackisbetter at 6:36 AM on May. 26, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.