what is the group b strep test? and what does it test for?

I have been pregnant 2 times but never made it to have the test. i delivered before it was time to take it and im getting it done next appt.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Pregnancy

• http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/groupbstrepinfection.html

That link should tell you all you need to know.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• you know i can't really rememeber what it was for humm
    Anonymous

• They swab your butt. That is pretty much all I remember about it. It's not invasive or anything. It just tests for a form of strep that you could pass to your baby during delivery. If it is positive you would both have to be on antibiotics.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• its to test for bacteria in your vagina. many women have it and is not armful to us but it can be for baby. not a big deal if its positive... they just give you antibiotics during labor and they will keep you an extra day in the hospital
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Its not just your anus they swab, they do your cervix, swab your vagina on the way out, and then run the swab across your anus (nothing goes in, and most women don't even realized it happened).
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• (I was positive) we are both fine!
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 6:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• does it matter if i have to have a c-sec anyway? I already know i have to have one. If it is something that can be passed to the baby during delivery then does it matter so much if you wont have your baby vaginally?
    Anonymous

• If you are having a c-section then you don't really need the test.
    Can I ask... has anyone been negative with one and positive with the next? Or is it pretty much the same for each time?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 7:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Reflect1light - I would imagine it would be different each time, since it is an infection.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Thanks Carolyn :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 7:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2008