I'm not comfortable with her holding my daughter?

My daughter Izzy is 4 months old and I'm not comfortable with very many people holding her. I let my Mom and Dad, my fiancées Mom and Dad, his brother and sister, and my sister hold her.

However, my neighbor wants me to bring the baby over to see her and I know she's going to be all over her, kissing her, etc. I tried discussing my discomfort with them but my neighbor woman told me to "Suck it up" and her husband told me that it's not fair that I choose who gets to hold her.

Am I wrong for not letting them hold her? If so, how can I get over this?

AliMommyToIzzy

Asked by AliMommyToIzzy at 12:50 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was the same way, theres nothing wrong with it at all.. I was that way with my first baby. Let me just say tho, if anyone ever told me to "Suck it up" we would be having words! For sure! YOU are the mother, this is YOUR baby, and it does'nt matter how outrageous, or whatever ppl think, if you are not comfortable with something, thats the bottom line. Put your foot down, after all, you are Momma now. =)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 8:20 AM on May. 26, 2011

• your the mom.. they can 'suck it up'
    shanesmom24

Answer by shanesmom24 at 12:54 AM on May. 26, 2011

• you are not wrong , i let few people hold mine , i wouldnt have to say a word people could tell i did not like it
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:53 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Well if your not comfortable with it your not comfortable with it. I dont like anyone kissing and breathing all over young babies like that, they can catch things so easily, last thing you want is a sick infant. A short hold is one thing, keeping her at a distance from your face but being all up in the babies face is another and I would explain that again to them, they need to respect your feelings on the matter.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:59 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I would tell her husband that people of no blood relation do not get consideration as to what's "fair" when it comes to YOUR baby. He sounds like a 3 year old. You do not have to "suck it up" you are her mother and it is your JOB to protect her from whackjobs that think everyone and their neighbor have any rights whatsoever to hold your child!!
    AngelMama6203

Answer by AngelMama6203 at 1:11 AM on May. 26, 2011

• If you're not close with these people (and it seems like you're not) I really wouldn't worry about it. Try to avoid them when they're outside and don't make it a point to go over and chat. If you've already tried to talk to them, they'll get the hint.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 6:13 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I think your neighbors have enormous balls to say that. OF COURSE you get to decide who holds her. YOU'RE HER MOTHER! I'd tell my neighbors that anyone who speaks to me like that will never hold my baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:55 AM on May. 26, 2011

• i strongly agree with (angelmama6203) 100%
    alliep2011

Answer by alliep2011 at 1:24 AM on May. 26, 2011

• you're not wrong. i personally don't mind too much. we visit my mom at work fairly often and lots of people hold him. mostly the people i come across are very conscious that he's not their own child and always wash their hands first, etc.
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 7:12 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I'd also tell them that if they want to hold a baby so badly, have one of their own.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:56 AM on May. 26, 2011