Any advice before I do my first garage sale?

Four kids and 11 years later I'm finally ready to give up all the toys and clothes and everything else we've seem to collect. So I'm getting ready to prepare for a garage sale and I'm wondering if there's any advice out there that I may find useful before I do it?

tools4mom

Asked by tools4mom at 12:54 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Invite other people to do it with you and then advertise that it is a multifamily yard sale. If you don't have enough stuff, people won't stop, they will just drive by and leave. Also, get the signing out first thing and then set up and if people come while you are setting up, that is fine. If you have other people doing it with you, you can split up the work- listing, signing, etc. I personally don't worry about pricing everything individually. My last yard sale,I just had a general price for most things- kids clothes- .50, women's clothes $1. I also had a box of free items- mostly clothes that were stained and torn.
    Good luck.
    lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 7:44 AM on May. 26, 2011

• get some stickers and put a price on everything. you can always do the haggle thing when someone is interested. nothing worse then hearing 20 different how much how much how much lol but be realistic on pricing. if you are selling clothes, put them on hangers and put them up ( port. closet on wheels if you have one or makeshift one) also, check with your town you might need a permit. advertise in your local paper. have a start time and a finish time. have some bags handy for those buying those 50 little mc dys toys, and some tissue paper to hand to the person that is buying your old dishware. ( while mom is wrapping up those dishes the kiddies and hubby will still be looking for more stuff :) bring out some comfy chairs for your family to sit in and remember to be able to make change. some people will be hitting the atm before they come there. and have fun !!
    shanesmom24

Answer by shanesmom24 at 1:01 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I say, screw the stickers, just have different tables or boxes for most of the stuff. A $1 box, $5 box, $10 box. Put a big price tag on the bigger items so it's easy to read from a distance. Will save you a lot of time and monotony. :)
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 1:18 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Be prepared very much in advance & don't let pricing go until the last minute. It's very time consuming, but it pays off. Also, expect early birds, no matter what time you advertise that you are starting, somebody will ALWAYS show up early. Have everything categorized and priced. Enlist help from family or friends, so you can deal with "crowd rushes." Have bags handy to bag up your buyers' purchases. And, be ready to make change for all the large bills you are going to get. Don't expect to get rich. People tend to really try to barter for yard/garage sale items. Advertise a rain date just in case you get unexpected bad weather. Good luck!
    JaniceBowen

Answer by JaniceBowen at 1:14 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Don't let the hagglers overwhelm you, stick to your guns.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 1:39 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Have plenty of 1's and change

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:58 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I'm with butterflyblue....make sure you have change! I also get my daughter invovled. Let her pick out what she wants to stick in there (supervised of course) and then I let her sell it and keep the money she earns. The funny thing is, a lot of adults will buy something from her with her little sign just because they think she is cute. She normally will make a good amount of money on her things.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:33 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Remember at the end of the day the goal is to not have to carry that crap back inside!! What you paid for it 3-5-10 years ago is no longer relevant. kids clothes .50 office chair $2 old sit and spin $1 old dresser $10.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:20 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Price everything
    Arrange by gender and size
    fold things neatly on tables or hang them up (no laying on tarps or throwing in bins)
    Make sure toys are clean. Provide batteries so people can "test" the item (w/o actually taking your batteries).
    Price to sell not to make a lot of money...you'll make more that way.
    Haev good signage to draw in a crowd
    Advertise on Craig's List.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 11:21 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Make sure to have LOTS of 1's and change and if you really want to get rid of it all dont overprice!
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 11:27 PM on May. 26, 2011