Why do house republicans want to take from the least of us?

On Monday they proposed a cut in WIC benefits of $832 million. An outrage considering this is one of the better run programs in the country in that it gives block grants to states who then distribute the benefits as they see fit. Stupid and irresponsible and just plain old nasty

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 1:01 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Stupid and irresponsible. Leave WIC alone and cut food stamps distribution by 50%. IMO, WIC is run well and not regularly taken advantage if. Food stamps, on the other hand, is filled with fraud and misuse. A family of six with four kids under 5 gets $1000 a month. Way too much. I fed formula and organic jarred baby food and we never went over $200 a month for three of us.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:16 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Republicans = Democrats. It's actually a simple math equation. Both parties have one thing in mind, money. They are all a bunch of overrated high school class presidents that never understood the value of the almighty dolllar. Now they are running into the ground and fitting the bill on the American citizen. It won't be long before America's super power status declines exponentially. Stupid and greedy politicians = a broken economy in the U.S. = a second Roman Empire. Sad to say, but true. You just can't catch a falling knife!
    LaurenMichele

Answer by LaurenMichele at 1:16 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Frankly, I think the R's just have a reputation of being the party of the wealthy, when in reality it's all politicians who could not care less for the little man. WE are all the little man. Politicians are members of an elite group and they protect their own interest: power and money to the detriment of the citizens of this country. Did you see the Repub Rep from GA who was asked about his HC? It's a classic video and was posted in some other CM groups just today. He refers to his government HC as free and of course he's entitled to it for life- I'm surprised a member of the audience didn't draw their weapon and use it on him-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:16 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Lauren/Michelle- excellent answer-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:17 AM on May. 26, 2011

• The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. ANd the rich know how to screw the rest of the population in America. Republicans always do.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:23 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I agree minnesotanice, they want to cut what helps people make ends meet. Not everyone that gets foodstamps are abusing the system.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 4:43 AM on May. 26, 2011

• QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:55 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Did you read farther down QM?
    Two analysts from the liberal research and advocacy group Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, Zoe Neuberger and Robert Greenstein, said Monday that the cuts could mean turning away as many as 475,000 people from the Women, Infants and Children program if food prices continue to rise.
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 8:18 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Yes, I read that it COULD. That does not mean that it will. My point was that we need to cut where ever possible no matter what department it is to get rid of waste and redundancy. Not to mention, in past questions in this forum about WIC and it's participants, some of the women have stated that they get way too much of the products that WIC pays for, that there is no way they could eat all of the eggs / cheese / *product of choice* that they are allotted.  My main reason for posting is that there is another side to this story.  Recovery is going to hurt every single one of us. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:32 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I'm with Quinn...COULD. Isn't WIC supposed to be a supplement? Are people going to starve if they trim some?

I suppose the Dems should have thought ahead when they were blowing money on turtle tunnels, marsh mice and cleaning tinky winky's. We are out of money. The Dems didn't even manage to pass a budget when they had control...it was just blow and go. Someone is going to have to be willing to fall on the sword to get us back on a solid fiscal track. Personally, I will be providing support..financially and with my vote for those Democrats or Republicans that ARE willing to sacrifice their careers for the REAL good of the country.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:11 AM on May. 26, 2011