A few questions about ff and bf

When you had your child did you breast feed or formula feed?
Did you have any support?
When you were at the hospital did nurses/doctors try and push you into one?
If I choose not to breastfeed my baby am I a bad mother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breastfed. Yes I had plenty support, from my mom and my SO. No they did not push me into doing anything, they were made plenty clear that I did not want my baby given a bottle, and they provided me with a lactation specialist, outside of the nurses who all are LC's. I don't think your a bad mother if you choose not to BF, but I think everyone should try, it's the best thing for your baby even though formula can be good enough.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:27 AM on May. 26, 2011

• i tried to bf but it didnt work out well. My daughter was preemie, so in the hospital they had me breast and bottle feeding, as she needed to gain weight, they pushed the idea of breastfeeding, but she acclamated to the bottle, I think most hospitals breast feeding support and help is pitiful, they want you to do it, but have no education on it.....its like this in many countries and i think thats why many women dont end up being sucessful with it.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:37 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I tried to bf my 1st, but it just did not work out (variety of reasons) so then I went to formula. My 2nd and 3rd were formula fed. My hubs did not care if I bf or ff, he told me I should do whatever works best for me, and he would support my choice. I did have a few people talk about bf, and the hospital nurses were nice and helpful.
    YOU need to do whatever feeding method works best for you.... and do not let anyone get you down for your choice.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:41 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I breast fed all five of my kids...two of which were preemie. I had no support or teaching....was just natural I guess. The hospital said I was suppose to supplement...but I figured they were gaining enough weight I didnt need to. Also..the more they eat...the more you produce. For me...was better for the child...cheaper and easier. I was the only one getting up to feed or change diapers...

PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 1:43 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I breast fed my oldest for two weeks, but he couldn't latch on (TMI but I had a problem with inverted nipples that wasn't an easy fix).
    My second child I didn't even try to nurse because of the pain with the oldest. My third child however, I nursed her til she was 16 months old and only stopped then because i had to with medication i had to take.

With all three of them, I had excellent support in every decision I made regarding their feeding, from my husband, my family, and friends. The nurses at the hospital with my oldest were very supportive in trying to help me but they did not push breast feeding at all. With my second, they asked but they didn't pressure. With my third, the nurses were very supportive also in showing me how to get her to latch on and she took right to it.

I do not think anyone is a bad mom based on their choice to FF or BF. It doesn't matter THAT much as long as you are feeding your child.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:12 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I had every intention of breastfeeding and my family hated it. For the last four months of my pregnancy all I heard was complaining and hositility about the fact that I wanted to breastfeed and 'not all babies can do it' and 'your baby will always be hungry' and 'you'll get tired of it after one day'. I wanted to do it anyway.
    When my daughter was born I tried to feed her but a combination of not wanting to latch on and a horrible hospital staff left me with a very hugnry child. The ped came in on day 2 and asked me why I wasn't feeding her. The nurses had been sneaking her formula because she cried so much in the nursey, but told me that it was normal and 'no big deal' for her not to eat much. We went to bottle feeding and I spent the first three weeks pumping. We kept trying to latch on and eventually one day she just figured it out. It was great. We breast and formula fed for the first four months and now do just formula.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 6:19 AM on May. 26, 2011

• you're absolutely not a bad mother if you don't breastfeed! i had good support and nursed for ten weeks. i had to supplement formula because my supply was low and baby wasn't gaining much weight. as long as you're feeding your child age-appropriate food, you're doing the right thing
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 7:19 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I breasdfed both my boys. The first two weeks were challenging with both of them but I was determined to BF and got past those challenges.
    I had some support but mostly I supported myself. If it's not something you feel strongly about the chance of success drops a bit.
    You're not a bad mother if you choose to ff. Honestly, better to ff than bf because of a feeling of obligation and hate it. I do believe that everyone should try it though.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 7:35 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I have three children. With Kid #1, I did absolutely everything I could to breastfeed him, including having an evaluation of my supply done at the La Leche League. I was told that I was doing everything correctly, but for some reason my milk never came in properly. I made it for a month before I had to start supplementing. Kid #2, I tried again, buying the Cadillac of breast pumps and taking fenugreek and fennel. Same problem. I had Kid #3 a few months ago. Now THIS kid was a great latcher and had a lot of moxie when it came to sucking, I thought just maybe THIS time I would get to breastfeed. Nope. The old boobies just aren't built for the job apparently. All three of my children are bursting with health and vitality even though they're formula fed after the first month.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:59 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Well first of all, let me just say.. No matter what you decide, it is YOUR decision! You should do what YOU are comfortable with.
    I have a two year old, and a 9 month old, and I pumped for the first couple weeks but also formula fed, then I went to just formula. I was VERY pressured to breast feed, and felt bad at first for not, but then I realized that ppl have no right to make you feel bad, you and you are most certainly NOT a bad mother if you decide not to.
    With that said.. there are SO many pros to breast feeding, and it can be a struggle but it is worth it, if thats what you choose. My children have always been on enfamil premium, and they have had excellent health. My son has had probably two colds in his two years, and my daughter has never been sick. So even tho breast feeding might be in the best intrest, there is absolutely nothing wrong with formula feeding. I hope this helped =)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 8:16 AM on May. 26, 2011