What do you think of teen Mom's who show their babies off?

What do you think of teen Moms who only show their babies off and don't want to actually support their children/do any work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on May. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• Same way I feel about a man with a woman as a trophy on his arm. All looks no substance. I dont think you have to be a teen Mom to do this though, many grown woman also act this way. Its all to do with maturity levels and how seriously you take the responsiblity of raising a child.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:39 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I think it's toug to generalize that that only happens with teen moms. I know of teen moms who do work and are supportive, and I was one once too (along time ago.) As far as showing their babies off, I think all mom's enjoy that.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 8:25 AM on May. 26, 2011

• So are you making the ASSumption that teen moms can't be proud of their babies if they don't work? I was a teen mom, went to school and took care of my child. My husband, a teen dad, went to school and worked full time. I was very proud of our beautiful daughter and had every right to be.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:35 AM on May. 26, 2011

• So... Being a full time student in preparation for college and the business world, isn't work? Ah, I see.

I think the same thing about a teen mom who doesn't care for their child as I do an "adult" who willingly places their infant in daycare- you know, NOT caring for it... but somehow they have a right to show that baby off?
    Oh, or my SIL who was a SAHM and didn't care for any of her children, instead left them to my brother to care for while he worked from his home office- so she could "recover" and "learn to cope"- It's bullshit, and it's not a problem that is synonymous with teen parenting.

THIS teen mom lived on her own, worked her ass off, and was treated like I had no right to be proud of my accomplishments. Far as I am concerned, your assertion that 'teen moms' (not mom's) don't have the right to be proud of what they've accomplished, their life, nor their child, is asinine.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:01 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I think the same thing that I would think for ANY mother who only wants to show off their baby but not actually take care of them: all they care about is the attention that goes along with "owning" something cute, whether it is a baby, a dog, or a new purse. A mother doesn't actually love her baby if she won't take care of him/her.

Now, there is nothing wrong with a mother - even a single mother - going to school or being a stay-at-home-mom, AS LONG AS the baby is being satisfactorily cared for and financially supported.
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 9:57 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Also, to address some other issues that have been brought up here...there's nothing wrong with being a student or SAHM as long as the baby's needs are met. If the baby has a safe place to live, food, clothes, and satisfactory care, then the mom is doing just fine.

It is not right for ANY mom - single, married, working, stay-at-home, or student - to leave their child sitting in a messy diaper. It is not right for ANY mom to let a hungry baby cry. There is no excuse. I don't care if you just got home from working a 13-hour shift, I don't care if you have to study for your finals, I don't care if you need to clean your house, I don't care if you're "stressed" - taking care of the baby comes first, and if you cannot do that, then you are not being a satisfactory mother REGARDLESS of whether you are the baby's full-time caregiver, a student, or working.
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 10:20 AM on May. 26, 2011