Heightening senses to paranormal/otherworldly/psychic experiences?

Has anyone ever done exercises to do this? I'm very slightly sensitive, and I really want to develop it further. I've started doing some meditations and reading up on it, but was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with developing the more subtle senses or doing energy work.

Do you have favorite exercises or even authors or books on the subject that helped you develop the senses that were there? Thanks in advance!

(As a side note, I'm Pagan, so anything along those lines would be fantastic.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've always been clarivoyant so I've never felt the need or desire to study anything paranormal. I feel things, smell and sense things. I just let it happen. Follow my instincts so to say. I have freaked out friends and family with certain things that I feel and sense is going to happen. One time at work I knew something negative, a loss was going to happen overnight, so when he left I put a box of kleenex and a vase of flowers on his desk. When he came to work I ask him how his father was, I didn't know whether his father was in his life, but I felt he wasn't there anymore. Mark freaked out on me, told me his father passed away overnight and demanded I tell him how I knew. I couldn't explain to him how I do it because I knew he wouldn't understand. Just an example. I just let my instincts guide me and I follow.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:53 AM on May. 26, 2011

• You could join The Phsychic Realm here on CM. It's a grreat group, and they help you with strengtheing your gifts.  The ladies there are awesome!

sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:36 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I've always had those "gifts" as well. The key point I can point out is to use them. Don't ignore your intuition, don't pretend you aren't seeing what you're seeing and don't deny it. Everyone is born with these abilities but generally "loose" them by the time they are adults because they refuse to use them or because they are taught it's all fake and deny them - so they "shut down." Besides that I suggest meditation as a way to better get in touch with your abilities... The more you use them the stronger they will get.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:38 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Well said Sabrina. I didn't realize we shared the same opinion when it comes to "abilities". I have been saying that for years. I think it also helps when we become mom and sometimes dads. "Mother's Intuition" if you will.

You just have to keep listening to your inner voice and focusing. I like Sabrina's suggestion of meditation to help you focus. Just remember, if you don't use it, you will loose (lose? I hate those two words ... sigh) it.

Oh! I thought of something else ... learn your Chakras. The more you open them (through meditation I think), the more connected you will be to your abilities.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:13 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I just keep my mind open and if something comes I try to concentrate harder on that particular thing. I also learned to take some time at night and clear my thoughts and wait. I am able to sense things when I walk in to a room and have been since I was little. Its the energy I sense and if it is off I trust my instincts.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 3:14 PM on May. 26, 2011

• It runs in my family. It just develops and gets stronger in our family over time.

Answer by gemgem at 7:54 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I would add that take the first answer that pops into your head when you ask a question and then don't analyze it. Meditation when it's quiet and peaceful and actually ASK for a higher spiritual consciousness (or whatever you want) but be very specific and ask your guides to help you. It takes time to develop. I'm trained in Reiki 1 and 11 and I'm still developing my intuition. I use a few books by Sylvia Browne because I like the meditations in them but there are countless books....go to the library and browse and see what feels right when you look at the titles. The more open you allow yourself, the more it should flow. Lots of prayer.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:42 PM on May. 29, 2011