How much time do you spend AWAY from your kids?

Some amount of time away is healthy, some people spend ALL their time trying to get away, and some just can't bare the idea of leaving their kids in someone elses care, even for an hour... so where do you fall?

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 1:39 AM on May. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• None. I only have a four year old son and he is always with me. The only time I get alone is only for an hour or two...maybe. And thats only if I stay up for a while after hes gone to bed or I get up earlier than him.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 1:40 AM on May. 26, 2011

• when school is in session I work about 12 hours a week plus time in class. So it can average to about 4-6 hours per day, 4days a week.

Most of the time he is asleep because I start school 2 hours before he wakes up, and his dad watches when I am gone, if our schedules clash and we need a sitter my little sister will watch him, maximum three hours at time, and limit to 2 times a week because she has school too.

During the summer I work 15 hours, of which is spent with his father, and if I do in class classes you can tack on an extra 4-6 for 2 days of the week, but I am unsure if I will go to school on campus this summer.

So basically I only leave if I need to for work or school and I leave him with either his dad, my mom, or my sister.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:43 AM on May. 26, 2011

• We put our kids in childcare when we are at the gym, maximum 2 hours. Then we get about 90 minutes on Sunday mornings... they go to Sunday School, we go to "big church". And my 5 y/o and 3 y/o go to Pre-K/Preschool Mon-Wed-Fri mornings, so we get some time there as well (even though we still have our littlest one, 18 mos, she's no trouble!)

We don't do date nights or sitters (who can afford $15 an hour for a sitter, plus dinner and a movie for us?! Ya right!), and our family doesn't help out very often (they haven't babysat since we went out New Years Eve). So we just make do where we can.
    livn4hevn

Comment by livn4hevn (original poster) at 1:59 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I'm with my twins 24/7 and the older 2 after school and weekends. I don't go out for various reasons. My kids are not my life but they are why I stay home. My mom wasn't there when we needed her, was impatient with us, accused me of ruining her life etc, and I vowed to never let my kids feel or think what I did about my mom. Everything I wish my mom did for me I do for my kids and at times I wonder if I blurred a fine line between being a good mom and just soiling them! We all have reasons for how and why we raise our kids but in the end its what they say about mommy and daddy when they are old and wise enough to look back and say what kind of parent we were that is important and matters because that is their stepping stone to our relationships in the end. JMO
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 6:00 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I work three days a week and he's in school four. Fridays together all day, Satudays are family days, Sunday is relaxing around the house day. During the week we cheer him on at soccer and other events. He's four, in preschool, and has plenty of play dates and friends. We have sitters rarely :( and I am working on at least once a month. It would be nice to have date night ince a week but affording it and finding the energy would be hard. He visits Grandma and has stayed for a week on several occassions. He will stay a week with Grandma and cousins soon and will also spend another four or so days with extended family at a lake house at some point in the summer. It really doesn't bother him if he is busy and having fun. Unless he is in trouble with Grandma and then he wants to have us with him. We have a good balance and he's healthy/content. That is all I care about.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:11 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I'm a SAHM so I almost always have my kids. We have "date" nights as a family and we all go out to eat. The last time my DH and I went out alone for dinner was in December after my youngest was born and my mom watched our boys for us. It's very rarely that we get to go anywhere without the kids. I wouldn't mind being able to, but can't seem to find a good babysitter that is willing to come to our house. Now that we moved into a bigger city hopefully we can find someone now.
    Cristl_2000

Answer by Cristl_2000 at 8:29 AM on May. 26, 2011

• sometimes i need a break but what parent doesnt. i want my kids around me 99% of the time.
    ncmomma3152

Answer by ncmomma3152 at 9:04 AM on May. 26, 2011

• My kids are all in school and I work a very part time job, so I'm away from them when they are at school. Evenings and weekends it is rare that DH and I go out without them, but that is changing here and there. My oldest is 13 and he and the 11 yr old can definitely handle a sleeping younger brother, so sometimes we go out for a walk or to a meeting. Happily, DH doesn't work Fridays, so we have a lunch date once a week.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:23 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I work FT so 8-10 hours a day (my son is in preschool and my daughter is at the sitter)
    We try to fit in a date night once a month (I have a teenage daughter of my closest friend watch the kids)
    and twice a year we try to get a whole weekend away from the kids.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 11:28 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Rarely ever am I away from my kids but that's because of circumstances not because I'm overly attached to them. My husband works all day and I have no friends or family. I have no where to go. I don't even have a car and won't drive my husband's truck when he is home. When he's not working we have grocery shopping and stuff to do which we do together which means the kids that aren't in school come with us (they are 5 and 10 months). Our older kids are almost 11, 9 and 8. Since we live on the other side of the country from all of our family it will be a long time before I get chances to go out on my own. Occasionally I take walks by myself. I'll be gone for a couple hours but that's only when my husband is home and the weather is nice. In the summer he works most of his days off (he hasn't had off since the 13th).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:29 AM on May. 26, 2011