How can i get my 2yr old daughter to be more undersanding

my 2yr old daughter is very stuburn n hard headed.my boyfriend and i have tried the corner and if you dont then you dont get this.no matter what we do she just wont stop.it seems as if she dont understand why something is wrong or why its bad and why she cant do it.its very fustrating and stressful.i know shes only 2 and this is suppose to be the terrible stage but how can i get her to understand a little better because shes very bright for her age and i know she knows better.please all the advise will help thanks

bahnitta89

Asked by bahnitta89 at 1:39 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• While at this age they understand alot more than people want to give them credit for, they still are not developed in the area of reasoning, they can understand they are not supposed to do something but they can not understand why. It gets better by about 2.5 as they start to be able to reason a bit more. Try explaining why they cant do something, in an age appropriate way. I would either try to distract her from whatever she is doing telling her why she cant do that then give her something she can play with etc......or continue with the time outs, its all trial and error really trying to figure out what type of discipline works for your child- good luck with this!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:45 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Be firm, don't give in...and by all means tell her exactly why.
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 1:45 AM on May. 26, 2011

• SHE'S TWO. She doesn't even know what Understanding means! Why don't you as an adult be more understanding of her being TWO?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Try putting yourself in the place of a 2 yr old, and or how you wish your mom would have explained things to you. My kids are all on different maturity levels but I don't speak to or treat them different. The way to get through to your 2 year old is by not doing the baby talk! "No baby that's a no-no" will work until 2. Mommy said no because it can give you a boo-boo, or no because its ca-ca etc will work for a little while until they want to be spoken to. I spoke to all 4 of my kids as though they were equals because in the sense of being a person they are equals/ they learn behaviors from each other as well as from me and or daddy. When they feel like you respect them and their individuality they in turn listen, but you have to remain firm!!! If that doesn't work then you will have to do an isolated time out IE in the vicinity of where you are but not in direct eye sight, this is horrid for them! No cruelty just tough love!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 5:51 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Be consistent and do it with caring. Take the anger out of the situation and be matter of fact. Don't forget to have a lot of one on one time with her too. Have her be your big helper for tons of little things. And give tons of praise when she does things right. This goes a long way to help her be more cooperative. And don't forget the hugs and kisses.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:11 AM on May. 26, 2011