? about Divorce paper jargon...

Welp, looks like hub doesn't love me & his unborn child enough to get help with his anger or maybe, he just doesn't see the problem. I was served today. This is our 1st child together & our 1st marriage. Until I get an attorney, I really can't understand much of the law jargon in the papers. I don't see anything about custody/child support. The only thing I see pertaining to the baby is "wife is pregnant"

Also: "Petitioner understands that a request for genetic tests shall not prejudice the requesting party in matters concerning allocation of parental responsibilities pursuant to section 14-10-124 (1.5); and That, if genetic tests are not obtained prior to a legal establishment of paternity and submitted into evidence prior to the entry of the legal final decree of dissolution, the genetic tests may not be allowed into evidence at a later date." Do any of you know if this means he is requesting a paternity test or is it just saying that he understands the rules if the court were to order one? FYI: He is in the Reserves (Army) & we both live in Colorado.

Thanks so much! Hope y'all are doing well. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• I wouldn't worry about what he understands or not. I'd get the test done so there is not an issue. What a jerk. What kind of man divorces a pregnant woman? In most states they don't allow divorces during a pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on May. 26, 2011

• It's saying that with or without a paternity test, he will have parenting time with the baby (basically, if you file for a paternity test, he won't have to wait for those results before getting parenting time) and that if no test is done by the time of the divorce, neither can request one later.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 1:52 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I'm so sorry your going through this !!!! I married again but, I will never forget how it was going through the divorce.
    Helen2004

Answer by Helen2004 at 2:16 AM on May. 26, 2011

• The first sentence means that if he requests a paternity test and the baby is his that it will not affect his ability to get custody. Establishing patenity is as simple as putting his name on the birth certificate. Since you are married he becomes the father by de facto anyway. It's saying that if he doesn't get the paternity test before you guys get divorced and his name goes on the certificate that it may be too late to submit them.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 2:46 AM on May. 26, 2011

• AND if he is doing this to you at a time like this I hope you live in a state that will bleed him dry for child support.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 2:48 AM on May. 26, 2011

• holly has answered it right. sorry abt wat ur going thru. hire a good lawyer and give it bk to him. and take care of urself
    Sanagunjan

Answer by Sanagunjan at 3:07 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I feel for what you must be going through right now. Just a year ago I was served papers with a 3 yr old son at home and a husband who was going to fight tooth and nail for custody. The legal paperwork will keep on coming throughout this proccess,

Eventually you begin to recognize the same wording and begin to understand it better. But, for those items you don't understand it is important to consult with a lawyer that can explain it to you. I had to learn this the hard way so I don't want you to have to go through that as well. Hang in there. In a year the whole world will be a brighter place.
    kdwiegandt

Answer by kdwiegandt at 3:33 AM on May. 26, 2011

• You do not HAVE to sign the divorce papers tell you can go get a lawyer to read them for you.

Answer by louise2 at 7:37 AM on May. 26, 2011

• If I were you/ had it to do over again... I wouldn't sign those papers. Send them back and ask that the child support/ fathers rights be fully spelled out in the divorce. Why pay for 2 lawyers and drag your kid through a custody battle!? Get it figured out now!
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 10:17 AM on May. 26, 2011