How long after a divorce would you wait to meet the other's children?

kdwiegandt

Asked by kdwiegandt at 2:41 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• I guess it depends on the age of the children and how they are coping with the divorce. For me if I was in that situation it would not be something I would rush into doing at all, you have to put the children first in the aftermath of divorce, its just a hard time for them and they are very fragile, the last thing I would want to do is introduce a new person onto the scene in a close time frame to a divorce. For me a new relationship is something I would keep separate from my children until I was very comfortable with the way they were handling things and comfortable knowing the relationship was serious- i ahve seen to much heart ache caused for children of divorce with parents bringing in other partners, lots of different people they are just dating and not very serious about around their children, it does alot of damage- not saying this is your case but its just something to think about, godo luck with your decision.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 3:46 AM on May. 26, 2011

• thats a toughie. i guess it depends on if u have ur own kids. they'll need to be acquainted with their half brothers and sisters. to tell the truth, my parents got divorced and we still dont like seeing my half brothers and sisters. i dont know. although my mom was very strong on encouraging us to keep a good relationship with them and to be nice to them and stuff, not for my dad, but for them. she sees they're family no matter what.i dont know, i try sometimes but dont like to. it seems off. you should encourage your kids and the decision is theres. i respect my mom alot for the way she encouraged us. that way she'll never feel guilty for us being apart. family is family i guess.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 3:21 AM on May. 26, 2011

• other? who?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on May. 26, 2011

• tricky situation you have to be the judge and what feels right to you and them
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 7:54 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I don't recommend introducing children to a SO until you are certain the SO is a permanent fixture in the parents life. I say this because, bringing in another person who leaves can really screw up the kids worse. The kids will start to see a pattern and that is seriously detrimental to thier safety and security.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 9:44 AM on May. 26, 2011

• My bf's kids or my son
    kdwiegandt

Comment by kdwiegandt (original poster) at 3:20 AM on May. 26, 2011