Tips for Traveling to Italy?

We are T-minus 25 days until we take our first trip together without the kids... ever! We didn't even get a honeymoon!! I want to make the MOST out of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. We'll be going to Florence (technically a Tuscan B&B about an hour out of Florence, near San Gimignano), Rome and Sorrento/Naples. Any advice?! What to wear, where to eat, how much money to bring along... anything like that would be super helpful! THANKS!!!

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 2:41 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Travel

• yeah, take me with you
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 3:37 AM on May. 26, 2011

• The time change and the flight over their will really be an issue. My DH and I went to Germany (Army reasons) 2 times and I went and visited my DD their once. Each time the trip over their was hard. Your body will be waking you up at your regular time. Not Italy time.

Answer by louise2 at 5:54 AM on May. 26, 2011

• My sis just came back from there and I haven't been in a few years but here you go:

What to wear: be comfortable, especially if you're going to be walking a lot but keep in mind that our normal American shlooby style will not fit in there ... Italians dress much better than we do, even if just going shopping.

Money: umm, bring a lot. It's pricey. You'll find a lot of the same stores as you do in the states so search out smaller, local shops. My sis brought back some beautiful leather handbags from a man who had a small leather goods business - he made everything himself.

I've traveled to Europe many times and never really had much problem with the time difference. Here's my strategy for that: I typically leave on a 9 or 10 pm flight, maybe catch a few Z's on the plane and then when I land around noonish, I don't take a nap ... I stay up until it's time to go to bed. I rarely feel jet-legged. Cont'd ...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Buy some travel books and maps beforehand and try to get a feel of where you'd like to spend your time. Try to take advantage of the train system rather than take cabs here and there ... they have a great rail system and it's cheaper than a cab. Unless you're renting a car? Keep in mind that most cars are stick, not automatic; you may be able to request an automatic but they usually don't offer very many to choose from. Do work with the concierge of the hotel(s); they can help with all sorts of plans.

Yes, you'll be on vacation but don't forget to be smart. My cousins that live there have indicated that there has been a large influx of immigrants recently and that crime is escalating.

Most of all, ENJOY!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:16 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Eat the ice cream (from reputable places)- the best I've ever had. Expect it to be hot there, so bring some light layers. If you want to visit the Vatican you probably need to wear something modest. When you are in Naples, take a tour to Pompeii.

Answer by Bmat at 7:15 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Get off the beaten path (avoid tourist traps) - I LOVE Florence, enjoy!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:56 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Actually---don't bring money with you. Use your ATM card to withdraw money from a local bank (it's the cheapest way to get local currency because you'll get the best exchange rate and lowest fees). Also, use your credit card. Don't bring traveler's checks!

Try to find some walking shoes that aren't sneakers.

Get a lot of different guide books, so you can look for restaurant recommendations in them. Check out at the grocery stores, too---it's an interesting cultural experience, and you can pick up lunch.

As someone above said, DON'T NAP your first day there. DON'T DO IT! You'll really screw yourself up!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:49 PM on May. 27, 2011