For opposite sign blood type parents, please i need advice.

I'm o+ and my husband is o-. They said on the doctors the other day that when parents have opposite signs,a woman has to have two shots while being pregnant. I had two kids, and no one ever told me this. my sister n law has o- and her husband is o+ and she has to have 2 shots during every pregnancy. Why didn't anyone tell me this? anyone in a similar situation. By the way , thank god both of my children have my blood type so nothing happened.

fefe87

Asked by fefe87 at 6:04 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You are O+, you will not need the shot. The shot is only needed if the mother is the negative and the father is positive.

My sister is A- and did not know her DH's blood type. They had to get his blood type for this reason. (found out he is + and she needed the shots)  I am A+ and my DH doesn't know his blood type, but it didn't matter because I am +.

This all has to do with the Rh factor in blood.  If a mother doesn't have it, but the father does, causing the baby to have it, a mother's body and respond as if she is allergic to the baby causing many problems.

For more information see this link.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/rhfactor.html

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:29 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I am O- and the father is A- but they till gave me the shot. I only got one though. They told me if the bay was born + I would need one shortly after birth. *shrug* I wouldn't worry overmuch about it.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 6:53 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Since you are + you don't need a shot. I am O+ also, and they never even asked my husband's blood type.

Answer by Bmat at 7:05 AM on May. 26, 2011

• i wasnt giving a shot at all nvr even knew about this..im o+ my ex was a+ i beleive he could have been a neg but anywhos my dd is a+ and the only thing that was slightly concerning is that she was jaundice she lookd like a lil carrot but i still was able to take her home and she fine...gl
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 8:00 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I get the shots. I'm 0- and my hubby is 0+. Our son is 0+ too, so I got another shot after he was born.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:05 AM on May. 26, 2011

• since your husband is o neg and that is the universal blood type that can be donated to anyone and everyone, you have no cause for concern, or the rhogam. But o neg blood types can only recieve o neg blood, and since your husband knows his blood type, there was never a concern, or need!
    DLCarter2011

Answer by DLCarter2011 at 8:24 AM on May. 26, 2011