When should my baby start sleeping in her crib?

shes three weeks old now and sleeps in a bassinet. however from the day she was born she would roll to her side. and now somehow (i still have not seen her do it) she moves to the edge of the bassinet. and it worries me because her face is so close to the edge and i dont want her to get to close so she cant breathe. should i have her start sleeping in her crib? shes only been able to really move in her bassinet for two days and ive just been checking on her a lot. any ideas? i really dont want her not to be able to sleep next to me yet shes still so little

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 7:11 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She will be alright, you shouldn't have to switch her until she is too big for it. If she rolls onto her side just slide her so that her back is closer to the side of the bassinet than her face... just make sure she still has room to roll back to her back.
    My son always slept on his side as well, I think he used his bassnet until 3 months.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 7:17 AM on May. 26, 2011

• My kids were in a crib from day 1. You can move her now or wait until she gets too big for the bassinet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Move her when she out rows the bassinet.

Answer by louise2 at 7:24 AM on May. 26, 2011

• My daughter was in her crib starting at 7 days. If you're worried about rolling you could use a sleep positioner. We used one for my daughter.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 7:28 AM on May. 26, 2011

• With both of my sons (both born premature) we had them sleeping in our room for about the first 2-3 months. We started them out in the bassinet and once they outgrew it at about 2 1/2 months we moved them to the cradle for about half a month. I put them in the crib for naps during the day to help get them used to it and never had a problem with them sleeping in the crib in their own rooms. Both of my boys were very small the first month home (under 5 1/2 pounds) so they were a little slower to outgrow the bassinet than most of my friends children, but I would suggest doing what you are most comfortable with. Start out slow with naps and see how she does.
    Cristl_2000

Answer by Cristl_2000 at 7:57 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Some kids like that close feeling around their face. My granddaughter did this and still does at age 5. My DIL used to put a rolled up towel near the side of the sleeping area so the towel would stop the baby from getting too close to the sides of the bassinet or crib bumpers. Just an idea..........
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:59 AM on May. 26, 2011

• We never did bassinet. You'll just have to decide what's best for your family. There's no harm in moving her now. Try it out- she may surprise you & do really well. Good luck & congrats on the baby :)
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 8:00 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Whenever you are comfortable with it.. Some people co-sleep, some put their babies in the crib right away, some use a bassinet for a while.. Personally, I put my baby in a bassinet for the first 3-4 months, then hubby and I wanted to co-sleep for a while, so we got a Snuggle Nest (Bless those things) they are great, then when the baby was 6 months I switched to the crib. I did this with both my children, I have a two yr old son, and 9 month old daughter, and neither one has ever had any sleeping issues at all.
    You can't really go off what someone else says tho, you have to do what you are comfortable with, and what suits your lifestyle. =) I hope this helped, good luck =)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 8:01 AM on May. 26, 2011

• actually they don't sell the sleep positioners anymore. I guess they were causeing suffications in babies. I used one with both of my girls and was looking for one to use for this baby, but couldn't find one anywhere and someone told me they stopped selling them and why.

My oldest slept in a bassinet for about 2-3 weeks she didn't sleep very well beside us. She slept better in her own room in the crib. My youngest slept with us until she slept through the night which was 3 months (in her bassinet) then I switched her to her crib although with both girls I did however have them sleep during the day in the crib and the bassinet at night so that way they would be use to the crib when I went to switch them.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:03 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Btw, my children I had in the bassinet until they were 3 months, I was more comfortable with that because I was so worried about them, and I wanted to be able to check on them every 5 minutes lol.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 8:05 AM on May. 26, 2011