I'm finally starting to realize.....A vent....

Doctor's do not know much more than mommies do!!!!! When my kids are sick and we take them to the doctor we used to tell them all the symptoms and suggest what we thought was wrong, and the doctors usually agree. However, I'm coming to learn it's because they really don't know!!! You always get the "well here's a prescription, let's try this and see if it works, if it's not better in a week come back and see us." ya right, so I can pay you another co-pay to play guessing games with my sick child!!! So we pay them to write prescriptions, period and a lot of the time there is generic something over the counter we can give the kids that's equally effective.

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 7:14 AM on May. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• Doctors do know more than what most people think. But at the same time it is called practicing medicine for a reason. It is not, and never has been, an exact science. As an FYI the doctors and nurses get a chuckle, and sometimes will make fun of, patients or parents, who come in with a dx and a request for a medication. Many times it won't hurt to humor them. Always professional the doctors I work with will nod their head and listen suppotively. But I will bring my child to his doctor and not the mom across the street each time because I trust the doctor to have the ability to confirm my thoughts or to have another one. And many childhood issues have the exact same symptoms so you try one medication and if it doesn't work...yep, you're back next week. Because it's not perfect science. I always chuckle at my patients who tell me what dx to give their child. Not to their face. But
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:32 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Yes, medicine isn't perfect. Many illness have the same symptoms so it's a lot of guess work.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:17 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Welcome to my world! I can't tell you how many times my allopathic doctors have been clueless, from ADHD to anemia to constipation to warts to sinus infections to appendicitis to mono, to name a few. My alternative doctor and my grandmother (hey, she grew up in the European countryside where there were no doctors and you often had to fend for yourself) have provided me with the safest and most effective remedies for all kinds of things ... all with no side effects! Mainstream doctors are taught to treat symptoms and not look for or address underlying causes, not to mention they are the pill pushers for the pharmaceutical companies ... therefore, their treatments are either ridiculous, ineffective, dangerous, or a combo of those things. You are setting yourself up as a guinea pig if you blindly follow what they say. No thank you!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:27 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I will nod and smile. And true - you can look online. Most kids don't need to go in right away or even at all. Especially if it is a virus which can't be treated with medication at all.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:34 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I think the outlook on this should be treat the child, not the symptoms.
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 7:29 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I guesss I'm not as upset about the doctor issue as I am with parents who still take their sick kids to daycare/school when they know their sick! Where we work, we are afforded more than enough leave to stay home with our kids when they are sick, or stay home simply b/c we don't feel like getting out of bed, so I just don't get it. I know nobody can take care of my babies better than I can, and all they want is mommy or daddy when they're are sick, I could not imagine dropping them off with anyone when they are sick.
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 7:42 AM on May. 26, 2011

• i have to agree with the post i used to agree with frogdawg but after alot of bad diagnosis and horrible medicinal practices making my son a guniea pig and then years later the doctor finally listening to me, my son has the right diagnosis and the right medicine. I feel like if the doctor would have just listened to me and at least acknowledged that maybe i was on to something after all the "logging" and watching he told me to do, that maybe my son would have been better way sooner.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 7:44 AM on May. 26, 2011

• You are so right! That pisses me off!! I keep him home at bad colds, if he is lethargic...at the signs he is sick or needs rest not to get ill. And we both work and manage it. I know parents have pressure with sick days - I get it. But I also get we will all use less if we are kind to our kid and nurture them while they are down and out. My child caught scarlet fever, MRSA, pink eye...you name it. And he is four. If people would be a little bit more in tune with the fact a recovery day is helpful to make sure your child is really okay - I do it. And dice this last winter my son's private school became much more strict cutting down on tge illnesses from the previous winter. Smart move.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:19 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Oh, and I know dr's are not perfect. I often have to refer a child to the specialist and the doctor could have done it earlier. But...the piediatrician is not a specialist. So things do get missed. Things I catch often: speech (oye!), evals for autism and sensory processing, and other developmental services. You have the right to advocate. But know too you can always switch doctors. My son's doctor did not understand he had sensory processing disorder. I knew. But I also am in medical. I had to do every rule out patiently until we finally were able to go to an OT. And I was right. I could have equally been wrong. Here is tge truth - we make an edcated guess. That is all. I remind both parents, doctors, and nurses we are a team.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:27 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I wouldn't really know. Out of 5 kids we've had like 3 sick visits over the course of 11 years and all of those we already knew what was wrong and just needed prescription or a note for school. I treat everything at home with OTC because they've never been sicker than a cold usually.
    But a lot of the times parents go to the doctor expecting some miracle cure for something when it's just a virus and there isn't anything they can do. There is no prescription, you just have to wait it out and parents don't want to hear that. They want the doctor to fix it. Maybe the truth is they don't know what is wrong. They're doctors, not gods. Back when I was a kid they just gave you penicillin for everything to make the parents happy. I'm now allergic as are millions of other people who took it constantly. But it made the parents feel like the doctors were doing something.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:04 AM on May. 26, 2011