Jehovah's Witness....

I'm a teacher at a Preschool and I have a 6 year old boy who is a Jehovah's Witness. I'm a little confused about his beliefs. His mom doesn't want him included in any holiday lessons and doesn't want his birthday celebrated. He seems ok with it, but I feel bad when the rest of his class talks about Christmas and other holidays. She also requested that I not read any holiday books in front of him. He comes everyday. How do I work around this with the holidays coming up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• She needs to get over it. The whole school doesn't need to revolve around him.
    Anonymous

• If it's a public school then she needs to get over it! She put him into a public school knowing that most people celebrate Holidays. Just can't do anything about the birthday thing.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 7:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• it is her right to be this way she is not going to get over it....read storys about winter and snow kids love that to and you could have one other teacher or counslor take the boy for a lil while to play games while you have all the christmas fun...
    kim168

Answer by kim168 at 7:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I agree with the first two.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 7:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• The mom needs to home school, she also needs to realize that her child will always be exposed to Holidays.  I do not understand what harm it will cause the child to listen to a Christmas story. 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 7:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Personally I wouldn't send my child to ANY school that reads holiday books!!! But she may not have a choice. Why do you have to read books or do things that included the holidays? Why can't you just do books like Frosty? Winter themes but not any spacific holiday... JWs do not celebrate any holidays and if you want any spacifics on the beliefs just PM me. I was raised JW, my mother still is!! As a mother who doesn't follow a "normal" religion I can understand where she is comming from. If you can't find things that are neutral maybe you should talk to her. She may be able to furnish you with books or activities that are winter and yet acceptable to her. As the provider you should be trying to include every one and just because you can't do holidays doesn't by any means mean you can't still do some awesome things with the kids. All of them!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Its her right to teach her child what she holds dear HOWEVER when you send a child to public anything there is a pretty known factor of things being taught you might not agree with.

She cant expect you to cater to one child in a big group...not fair to the others and just flat out not right.

Yes, honor her request about the birthday and try to incorporate some non holiday specific stories/songs/etc but by no means drop everything you had planned or whatnot just for the one.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 7:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• IF it is a public school then you do what your normally going to do if she doesn't like it then she needs to homeschool. Discuss what the policy is with your principal so your doing it by the book so she can't raise hell with you.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• The public schools around here don't do any religion based holidays. They do the secularholidays but not the religious ones...  They are pubic schools and therefore have a curriculum that leaves room for the public and all the people that make that public up...  I still feel I would speak to her if I were you!  She shoud be able to give you some ideas...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I guess it would depend on the school. If it's in the public school system, there really isn't much she can say. If it's a private or religious preschool, then the sponsoring group would hold sway. Either way, she chose to send her son there, and she can choose to pull him out.

It's gonna be real hard to not read ANY holiday books in front of him, especially if you have a class reading time for the whole group. I could work around some of her requests, by not singling him out for birthday or class participation on holiday topics, but he's not going to be able to be shielded from everything. He will be exposed, like it or not.

*sigh* she might be better advised to homeschool him
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 9:09 PM on Dec. 8, 2008