Should I ask a cousin to stop spreading rumors about me?

Ok I had a big fight with a nobody a few days ago and what she said I knew directly came from my cousin. I want to email my cousin and ask her to stop spreading untruths and rumors out there about me. Do you think I should even do it or let it be?

I want to cause the junk is so untrue and my cousin is just mad with me cause she doesn't understand me (well her family doesn't understand me) and I don't want to hear all these bad things people are telling me she is putting out there?

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 8:00 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• depending what the rumors are and if u can prove ur cousin said them, you can take ur cousin to court for slander
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 8:05 AM on May. 26, 2011

• yeah I know I can not physically make them stop but I can say something cause I am so sick of everyone I hear from out there os saying what I know comes from them....like you are dragging my name through the mud.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 8:05 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Think about your cousin's reaction if you confront her. What do you expect her to say or do? I'm not sure that confronting her would help.

Answer by Bmat at 8:16 AM on May. 26, 2011

• You can try confronting her, but if the rumors continue, I'd let it go. The people who are believing them are not reliable family and/or friends. You know what's true; you do not have to explain yourself to anybody. By reacting to these rumors, you are inviting them to continue. Ignore them and in time they'll become old news not worth addressing. By the way, true friends wouldn't be telling you these rumors either; that's what keeps rumors "spreading." Prove that you are a grown-up, not as immature as the source or the gossipers. When approached with what you know are untruths or lies, respond by saying, "Really? Thanks for sharing, but I didn't even know this about myself?!" or "In the future, please do not discuss/mention these things to me. I do not want it to interfere with our relationship." If the gossiper doesn't get the message "to stop spreading the news," follow through by ending the relationship.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:35 AM on May. 26, 2011

• (cont'd from above) My psychologist has advised me, you can't control what people do or say, but you can control your reaction to them. Everytime someone tries to drag me into a fight or negative interactions, her voice goes through my head with this reminder. Believe me, it works!
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:40 AM on May. 26, 2011