• In the Spotlight:

my SO and his truck....ugh!!!

i know guys like cars and all but my SO bought a brand new chevy silverado jan of 06 ever since then there have been counless alterations that have cost up to 8 thousand dollars...and counting....because now he wants airbags on it to ride smoother which is another 4 thousand the thing is we are in debt around 9 thousand dollars and he still is saving up for the stupid air bags.....he never drives it because he cant afford the gas plus he commutes 80 miles a day and doesnt want to put the miles on it and the payment on it is 531!!! i dont know what to do anymore he thinks that it is ok because he works so he deserves it...were both 21 so age has something to do with his imatureitys its sad that i want to leave him over a truck but his prioritys are really messed up ...i feel like were never gonna get outta debt due to that stupid truck!!! any opinions any one else have a similar situation?

brandnew744

Asked by brandnew744 at 7:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Relationships

• bags DO NOT cost 4 thousand. That is soooo dumb anyway. My hubby has trucks and hobbys are on a cash basis. If you can't pay cash for it, then no. IT is just a hobby, not a need.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 7:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• So, you guys are going into debt over a vehicle he doesn't drive. Sounds like he needs to put family priorities over a childish want.
    Have you sat down and showed him what the money that he's spending on the truck could be going to, like an emergency fund or savings, children's education, nice vacations.
    I'm not against a man having a hobby, but if it's causing more trouble and putting you guys in debt, he needs to put that dream on hold until you can afford it.

nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 7:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• i would make a list of all the bills and show what comes in. then show him what the truck costs and then he should be able to see that there isn't enough for him to afford his hobby at this time. i love horses and wish we could have one and i could even find one for free but i still don't get one. my sil left her ex cause he did the same. maybe you need to leave him and show him how serious you are about it. even if you pretend to leave but never really have any real intentions on doing it. there is no simple answer to this. your man is totally immature.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• im so glad that im not crazy im ready to leave he knows the bill situation he pays them he knows what are finances are really well he just thinks he deserves it because he works and i stay at home with our son i understand he works hard but its just too much...we even had to move in with my mom because our debt is overwhelming...if he cant understand by that i dont think he ever will im just really tired of his selfishness its taking over our lives!!!!!
    brandnew744

Answer by brandnew744 at 9:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• You guys had to move in with your Mother because of this. Oh, sweetie, time for a coming to Jesus talk with him. How ridiculous! His priorities are WAY off.
    He doesn't deserve to have a tricked out truck if he can't afford to put a ROOF over his family's head.
    This makes me sick that he is willing to put his family through this because of his selfishness. The fact that he disregards your concern and instead of treating you like his partner, mother of his child and wife, he's treating you as if you're a second class citizen who's opinion doesn't matter.
    The truck is an issue, but you guys have much bigger problems than that.
    Honestly, if my DH pulled this, I'd tell him if his truck was so important, then he needs to pack his stuff and go live in it.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 9:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2008