Factor V Leiden? Only baby aspirin?

Hello! Ok, long story short. I was diagnosed after my last miscarriage with Factor V Leiden. I lost my first baby at 11 weeks and the second one at 9 weeks. My doctor told me that I am only heterogenous so I would only need baby aspirin, folic acid, B6 and B12. My specialist also said the same thing. I don't have an appointment with the specialist until June 22nd which will put me at 11 weeks. I'm so scared because I'm reading that even people with the hetero gene have been put on blood thinners just in case. Last year, the specialist said that if we have another loss then we will talk about putting me on a blood thinner. Why must I have another loss and not be put on it as a safety precaution?? Should I get a second opinion? I love my doctor and don't want to go behind her back, I just feel like they are not doing enough to save this baby and make sure I don't miscarry again. Has anyone ever been on just baby aspirin for Factor V and had a successful pregnancy?

Jenni0409

Asked by Jenni0409 at 8:41 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Anticoagulants (blood thinners) carry very significant, sometimes deadly side effects. They are not to be taken lightly. Aspirin is also an anticoagulant, but much, much safer to use. It would only make sense that they prescribe the lesser of two evils in the hopes that it will be effective, rather than prescribing radical treatment which may not be necessary and carries great risk.

That said, if you feel the need for a second opinion, you shouldn't feel at all guilty about getting one. Doctors are not gods, they are human, just like you and I. They make bad calls and mistakes each and every day. They are providing you with a service, which you are not obligated to continue to receive from any one of them. If you feel that the recommendation was not the best course of action, it is up to you to take your health care into your own hands. YOU are your best advocate :)

Luck to you.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:48 AM on May. 26, 2011