Do you believe that parenting stops when our children become a certain age?

A lot of parents are eagerly waiting for the chance to see their offspring get out into the world and be on their own, they feel their job is over once their child becomes 18 and leave home. Do you feel this way? Can you not wait till your children grow up and leave home for good? 

I know it scares me to death to even think of my boys leaving home(not that I will try to stop them because I won't) but it still will hurt just the same.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 8:47 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• I dreaded that day when they left, I still have my 23 year old son at home, and although I am fully aware that he too will leave, he is welcome in my home (his home) as long as he wants. And parenting never ever stops! just reaches a different level.....

Answer by older at 8:49 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I believe the answer to this is as diverse as our parenting techniques. Personally, I have two kids over 18 and they live on their own. I don't parent them at all, once in awhile they ask for advise. I have friends that suppoert and give everything to their adult kids. I raised mine to come to me, however, they seem to always stand on their own two feet. Just depends on the parent and the relationship with their kids.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 4:45 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Nope, mine are 9, 5 in July, and 4 in August and the thought of them going away to college, moving out, getting married makes me sad, although it'll be fulfilling for their lives and it's part of growning up it's still hard to face. There's a part of me that wants to keep them my babies forever, but another part of me that can't wait to see what they'll be. It's bitter sweet.
    musicspeak4me

Answer by musicspeak4me at 8:50 AM on May. 26, 2011

• While my son is only 3 years old, I'm going to strech and answer, absolutly not!! Do we stop loving at a certain age, or stop caring? I think just like everything else, there has to balance. You may not want your child to move out at 18, but supporting them and letting them learn and grow, isn't that what we have been partening all this time for? On the flip side, will we really spend 18 solid years, loving, crying, teaching, caring and everything else, to finally just be like, well, you're 18, see ya! lol I just don't think it's ever possibe for a parent to ever really stop parenting.
    MommaMarsch

Answer by MommaMarsch at 8:51 AM on May. 26, 2011

• parenting never stops!!!! like RosieT said, it just plays a different role once children get older. you're still their mother/father!
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 8:59 AM on May. 26, 2011

• no i dont feel like you should stop being a parent when your kids turn 18yrs , and i agree with alot of the other ladies when they say it just a different role. but hurtful to say my parents are divorced so in my dad eyes when my brother and i reach eighteen alot of things changed and he would always state to us y'all are grown now, my mother has never done that . because to hear a parent say that to you in a way to seem like they wont support( i mean in a emotional and physical way) it is very hurtful. i am still dealing with it and i be 30 this year!!
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 9:51 AM on May. 26, 2011

• My kids are 3 and 5, so I am thinking parenting doesn't stop. But as a 33 year old, I think I need to be "parented" I like the relationship that I have with my mother now, we are mostly friends and she is a great advisor and sounding board, but I don't like it when she tries to tell me what to do and she tries hard not to b/c I am grown and if she did her job I no longer need to be "parented" I just need her to be there for me.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 11:02 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Parenting never stops, but the responsibility shifts from US to THEM at a certain age.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:27 AM on May. 26, 2011

• We always parent in one way or another no matter how old our children are. My 42 year old is in a training for the next couple of weeks and I've called him a couple of times to see how things are going, ask about his new roomie, make sure he has what he needs (which of course he does because he's been taking care of himself for 25 years already) but I still feel the need to ask. They will always be our children and we will always parent.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:02 PM on May. 26, 2011

• nope my are 33 and 23 I am still the Mom
    firelites

Answer by firelites at 6:02 PM on May. 26, 2011