OMG. something is in my fireplace, and I am trying to figure out what it is before I open the flue!

We had lots of storms here last night and my dog was running downstairs over and over, well this morning, there is something in the fireplace! I can hear it trying to get out, but no flutttering or noise, so I have ruled out a bird, or a cat. Would a rat or squirrel make noise? I want to open the flue to let what ever it is out, but it will drop down into the fireplace, and don't want to face a possum! Any other ideas? Thanks!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 9:04 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Bats can just sit for HOURS! If it gets out, just be very quiet -- they wont see you coming with a weapon if they dont hear you! AND it would've been funny to watch us chasing the bat -- especially when my (them 3- year old gets out of the tub, screams -- which of course alerted the freaking bat to SWOOP US! UGH!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:32 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Possible squirrel, but they are noisy. My guess is a bird. You may not always hear fluttering. A bat is a good possibility.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:23 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I'd get an exterminator to open the flue. I wouldn't want to deal with whatever is in there. We've had 2 squirrels and a bird come down ours before we got a cap.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:49 AM on May. 26, 2011

• a squirrel would be making a lot of noise. Im going to put my money on a squirrel. Ever watch billy the exterminator? lol

Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 9:15 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I wouldn't care if it was a mouse or a bird or a bat... I would call someone. I would probably freak out for any of those things. Personally I would call someone, or make my husband get it out. Gah.. I am creeped out by it and it isn't even happening to me.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:19 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Let us know when you find out what it is!
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 10:12 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Bats don't make a lot of noise when they are alone!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:42 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I would definately cover up the fireplace before opening it up!
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 12:40 PM on May. 26, 2011

• OMG -- we had BATS in my fireplace and when we opened the screen, it flew out into the house! SCARY because bats dont see very well and they kept chasing us because we were screaming! i FINALLY KNOCKED IT IN THE HEAD with a broom before sweeping it out -- have a screen put on top of your fireplace. Could be a squirrel too!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:08 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Cover the opening of the fire place and open the flue.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:13 AM on May. 26, 2011