Sterotyping others?

What are you're experience with stereotyping? I was in the grocery store yesterday and was getting ready to check out. me and hubby had to buggies of groceries that was over $500. By the time we got up to the cash register a white lady got up there before we did. The cashier spoke to her and start scanning, somehow or another me and the lady got to talking about our kids. After the cashier was done she told her, her total the lady paid and left. By this time hubby had put half the stuff up on the counter. The cashier looked at everything we said and in a loud voice asked "Is this food stamps or cash?' I said "its cash" you should have seen her eyes get bucked. A black woman paying $500 dollars on some groceries. This upset hubby a lot. This is not the only time this has happened to me. I got asked the is this food stamp or cash question by a black woman once and when I told her it was cash sh looked like she had swallowed something. I was in the baby aisle a few years back looking for some cheaper formula. I ended up picking up some off brand formula. A black lady was picking up some Similac. She just point blank asked me why do you have that brand. I explained to her it was cheaper for me to buy it. She asked did I get WIC, I told her no she asked why, I told her we amde to much money she then asked why you worked at. Remember this is a total stranger. Went to the doctor office and the front desk clerk gave me the wrong insurance card back. Me and the lady who had my insurance card done a exchange. Before she gave me my card back she looked at it. And asked you have BBS? I told her yes. She asked you not on Medicaid? I said no. She asked where do you work at? Why is it so hard to see someone do good for their self and think the worse of people just because of the way they look or their skin color. I got my hair shaved off and put pics on face book. A guy put "dyke" as a comment. And then went on this rant on his status about women being confused about their sexuality, and going around wanting to shave their heads like men. I am a happily married woman with 2 kids. What are your experiences, thoughts or comments about stereotyping? Sorry my writing is not the best this morning trying to hurry so I can fix breakfast.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I am a college student and I work in a hut at Parking when its cold out people say stuff like if you just had and education and I say we are all college students. Or when I am at the store they say stuff like if you would eat better. I tell them I lost 470 pounds and its really none of their business its my day to bring donuts to my other job. Or when I pull out my Kaiser card and they say you have kaiser? its so funny. Or when I speak Japanese or mandarin Chinese and the chinese students stop laughing and bow their heads then it becomes yes miss.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:32 AM on May. 26, 2011

• The food stamp question is very common these days. With so many people laid off a lot of people are using them now.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:26 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Sometimes it is right under our nose and we don't even know it. My DD (17)was in school and in her AP Government glass they were talking about the recession and how it is affecting us. One of the students in the class said, "I don't even know why we have to study this stuff. We don't know any of these people."  Referring to people on unemployment and other government assistant.

What was difficult my husband had been unemployed for about 2 years and we were on reduced lunch.  Because I was working and we still had some savings we had not applied for WIC. 

People have no idea what poor looks like anymore, but stupid stares them in the mirror everyday.

sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 11:48 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Wow - so sorry you had to deal with that!! And good for you for being so successful in life! I would have marched right up to the manager of that store demanding justice (well, you know what I mean!) That girl can get fired for saying that snide remark like that! And it's nobody's business where you work, or how well you do, or what ur salary is - good for you! I wish I can get help for my two little ones, but apparently my salary's too high (even though I am negative on all my bills!)
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 9:28 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I'm sorry to hear your story. That's a sad display of human regard. I have never expereinced(or heard) anything like that, but i live in a upperclass suburban part of town, that has to be why (ie i think people assume you have money here). But i have been stereotyped as a woman too many times. When i go to the hardware store, i get treated like i'm 5. I know my s**t, i renovated my first house! I love to build things and use power tools! And as a housewife, schools, other working moms, etc. assume i'm just a housewife, and that im stupid and know nothing of the 'business' world, or anything outside of laundry. I have a few degree's and run my own business from home, but what offends me is i don't come off slopy, or uneducated in any way, so why do they just assume that? (And i'm not putting down working or sahm moms in any way).
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:02 AM on May. 26, 2011

• That's part of life. Some people are just like that. Sometimes it's deliberate and sometimes it's necessary
    Police stereotype people all the time.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:21 AM on May. 26, 2011

• My absolute favorite is when you search for a new doctor- First question, "do you have insurance?"

My husband recently fell and broke his ankle while out running. When I took him to Urgent Care, their first question was re insurance and not his injury.

Insurance: Yes, but since I'm not a member of Congress, it's crappy insurance.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:35 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I agree. I get it from another directiion. I am a business owner and for some reason that seems to translate into "rich"...which then translates into evil and greedy. It is really frustrating because I work hard at what I do and I am really good to work for.

I would have had some fun with the cashier because I would have said "neither." When she looked at me stupidly I would have opened my wallet and told her to "pick a color"...choose a credit card.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:12 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Stereotyping comes in all sizes and shapes: I used to weigh twice what I do now -- and I'm not skinny -- and I learned that people assumed if you were very overweight you were also dumb and lazy. At the time I was in a doctoral program at a highly competitive university and almost daily I encountered people out in the world who seemed surprised I had my act together.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 9:48 AM on May. 26, 2011

• alot of people assume it's food stamps when ppl have 2 buggies full of stuff, imo has nothing to do with your race....the other stuff however, might
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:52 AM on May. 26, 2011