Parenting Pet Peeves.

I know we are not all perfect parents and we really shouldn't judge others. But do you ever see something that just makes you think REALLY???

Mine is small kids out late at night with no adult supervision. My dd is allowed to play outside on her own but must come in as soon as it starts to get dark. Meaning...supper time. After that if she wants to play and it is dark I sit outside with her.

Also parents letting their kids walk barefoot in public places... I mean to each their own...but I am a bit of a germaphobe and feet just gross me out anyway.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 10:06 AM on May. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• Letting kids wear shorts in 40 degree weather.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 10:09 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I personally can't stand seeing kids not eat their food, being allowed to THROW IT OUT, and then eating a donut 10 mins later or something else. I know someone who allows that - he'll let her throw an entire plate of food away and not even 10 mins later he's making her a grilled cheese or something.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 10:09 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Yeah SweetPie...that does not happen in our house. My dd eats the food she is given or she doesn't eat. Plain and simple. Lucky for us she is the least picky kid out there. The other evening she ate grilled chicken breast, pasta with broccoli and cheese, and brussel sprouts. She even had seconds. So when an hour and a half later she wated peanut butter toast she was allowed to have it. On the rare occasion she does not want what we are having then the plate gets saved for her.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 10:23 AM on May. 26, 2011

• lol at first sweetpiemama i was gonna say... my kid hardly ever finishes her plate.. but then i read the donut or snack part and was okay, no, i see what you mean, lol, my dd has her meals and if she doesnt eat a healthy amount she doesn't get a snack later.

op: my pet peeve are the way some parents let their kids "play" with their animals. i dont know how many times i've seen AFV on tv where a dog is dragging a kid around by its pant leg (some are babies).. i dont find that cute or funny, i find it dangerous and want to slap the parent for thinking its funny.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:26 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I can't stand "helicopter parents" or "lawnmower parents" whichever term you prefer. Overparenting does not help a child, it hurts a child.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:30 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I see that alot,the kids wandering around past curfew,no parents in sight. It is nuts!!! Like parents don't care!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:36 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Letting kids talk to me like they are an adult....I strongly dislike when parents let little johnny or susie jump into an adult conversation and state their opinion.....i dont want ur childs opinion on my fight with my SO or whatever....i dont allow my child in the room when were having adult convos and i would appreciate if ur child wasnt speaking to me like they are grown
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 10:39 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I wouldn't even know where to start, a lot of you ladies already listed things that I would agree with.
    I don't like seeing young kids running the streets after dark and especially with no parent supervision, my boys are 16 and 13 and they can play outside at dark but I still watch them.
    Parents who yell at their children when they do well in sports, this is so irritating to me. If a child doesn't hit the baseball during the game, or wrestling parents who get upset when their child doesn't win...it drives me nuts.
    Parents who don't have their children clean up after themselves when they are over at another friends house and helped destroy it. Seriously they can't help put the toys away they drug out with the other child.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:41 AM on May. 26, 2011

• * meant when parents yell at their children when they DON'T do well*
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:42 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Mack - I have taught my dd not to interrupt into conversations. However, on some things she has valid opinions and good ideas. Depending on the situation and conversation she is allowed to state her opinion. One of my friends was having trouble with her son lying to her. I don't exactly remember what my dd said...but she came up with a good idea that worked for my friend. I think my dd was six at the time. Sometimes they see things from a different perspective.

However.....if we are having a private conversation...or one that is not appropriate then she is not in the room.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 10:42 AM on May. 26, 2011