how can i get my two year old to eat??

i recently regained guardianship of my two girls. they are 2 and 4. they lived with my family for 14 months and have now been back with me for three weeks. i cannot get my 2 year old to sit down and eat a full meal. she is not picky and has never had eating issues before. could her change in appetite be due to adjusting to the new home?? any ideas??

MommysTired10

Asked by MommysTired10 at 7:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give her time and let her graze. A lot of children that age won't eat a full meal and will just graze throughout the day. As long as she is eating, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Forcing her to eat and getting frustrated by it is counter- productive.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 7:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I agree with the pp. Provide healthy snacks throughout the day along with her meals. Try not to let her have a snack too close to meal time so she is hungry. It might work to let her "help" with preparing the meal so she is proud to eat her meal she made with you.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My 3 yr old son is the same way. I just fix his plate at every meal and snack (3 meals and 2 snacks a day) and he eats what he wants from that. He knows that he's not getting anything else until the next meal or snack. It's so not worth it to fight, it gets you no where and actually does the opposite of what you want! I would just keep offering her the food, and give her some time. Good Luck!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 9:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• good luck and congrats on getting your babies back!
    unwieldingdream

Answer by unwieldingdream at 10:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Girl you got me. My Son is on day 6 of not eating I took him the Dr's and he said that when he is hungry enough he will eat. But he did tell to give some of the Carnation breakfest drink mixes twice a day. He also no Milk because it will make him full fast. No junk food. He just told to give him and little Juice.
    lesliekaym27

Answer by lesliekaym27 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• the advice i was given by many is they will eat when they want to eat. they wont starve themselves. my two girls are going through that stage. if they dont eat one meal then no snack! and they sure are gobbling up the next meal thats put in front of them lol. also dont let them fill up on juice..give them water its healthier anyways :)
    Love_Stoned

Answer by Love_Stoned at 7:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My two and a half year old son hardly ever sits and eats a meal. If I leave finger food out for him, though, he will always eat it. He likes to dip his food into something; I think it makes him think he's having potato chips or french fries. So I cut thin strips of various vegetables and give him a little bowl of salad dressing and he goes crazy for it.
    Boosa

Answer by Boosa at 10:43 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• all u can do is try that all i do .i have milk so he get some thing .really that all u can do. i know i have one to that what the doc.sadi to so good lucky we are going to need it
    armywife3013

Answer by armywife3013 at 11:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2008