I've HAD it!!!

The stupid dog is getting worse. Yesterday I went out during the day into MY backyard to play with my three year old and 5 month old and the stupid neighbors dog was outside and charged at us to attack!! It gets into my garbage at night and leaves a MESS! I've had it. I was pissed off enough about 3 nights a week picking up garbage all over my yard, and wasn't happy that I was afraid to go out at night because last summer the thing tried to bite me WHILE ON MY PROPERTY!!!! But to try to go after my kids! That's IT! What legal repercussions are there, to shoot someones dog if it comes onto YOUR property and has done damage and is threatening!?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 10:12 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Pets

• If you are outside of the town limit, you may be ok to shoot it ... find out!

I will say one thing ~ regarding poisoning it ~ antifreeze is a torturous way to kill any animal. It is NOT a quick death (usually more than 24 hours), and it causes horrendous convulsions and contortions. The risk for any other animal getting into it alone makes it not worth it, and to be honest (as a vet tech) even a bad dog doesn't deserve that. On the other hand, if you can't shoot legally and your children are at risk, there are other things that you could use. Never, ever would I put a child at risk to spare an animal. In all cases a child comes first (and so do YOU). I'd make darn sure that the cops, animal control, AND the owners understand that, whether or not they believe you.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:18 PM on May. 26, 2011

• You can be charged with animal cruelty which carries a stiff jail penalty, you would be safe to shoot if he is charging at anyone of you though, and you fear for your life, like self defense. I would call animal services and tell them that the dog is loose and threatening your family, this would imply them getting a fine and maybe they will make sure this does not happen again, good luck!

Answer by older at 10:17 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Have you talked to the neighbor? I would not tolerate a mean dog,, I think you need to call animal control and file a report,, your kids could get hurt or worse,,,, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:17 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Call animal control or the police and tell them the dog is very aggressive and a real threat to u and your family! They will take care of it! Let them know that the situation needs to stop! Take the dog to a shelter but don't shoot it! It is the owners fault not the dog! I do not agree with shooting an animal because the owners r stupid!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:20 AM on May. 26, 2011

• To protect yourself (both legally and physically) I would call an authority and tell them that this dog has tried to violently attack you and your children on at least 2 occasions and has been allowed to destroy your property. Get it documented and inspected. Start with the local police (sometimes they handle this) but also ask them if there is an animal control department you should be talking to. I would not recommend harming or even touching the dog yourself unless you absolutely have to (like if it goes for your kids).
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:29 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I would call the police again and tell them the dog charged at your children, demand that they do something or you will file a complaint against them and call your local news channel as well,, I would take my self and knock on every door and ask who the dog belongs too. If you make a giant fuss with them, they should come, you could also get a live animal trap to trap the dog, and call animal control and tell them you have it,, you might also throw in to the police you are worried it might have rabies! That should get them going,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:45 AM on May. 26, 2011

• tell ur neighbors and call the law, or animal control
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:16 AM on May. 26, 2011

• i don't know the legal way to go about it besides calling the cops and animal control, but something needs to be done because you have two small children that the dog can hurt or even kill. I suggest when you go out next time take a ball bat with you and if it charges you again lay that ball bat up the side of its head after a few good licks it might just get the picture.
    Vivian0331

Answer by Vivian0331 at 10:45 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Geez, you've done everything legal there is. I liked the idea of turning the hose on it full blast every (**&^$# time it comes into the yard. A couple times of doing that should hopefully keep it away.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:17 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I've gone back and read all the answers...You have to protect yourself and your children by any means available and possible. The owners are stupid BUT the dog is dangerous and has to be stopped..bats, bebe guns, rocks, sticks whatever you need to do to keep him out of your yard you need to do. Your local police depart and animal control agency sounds worthless because they should have done something a long time ago. Good Luck.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:22 AM on May. 26, 2011