Boys will be boys...Just saying

I cannot stand this when parents say this. I do not think this is an ecceptable excuse for crappy behavior or lack of parenting skill; i.e. not being able to control your own child. But I do think it's appropriate to say men will be men lol

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 10:26 AM on May. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• I agree, you can't blame your own lack of parenting on your child's gender!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:30 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Yes, boys will be boys BUT that does not give everyone the right to 'excuse' the boys behavior and let them do what they want. I think that ALL children need to have guidance, boundaries, rules, limits and parents who enforce it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:32 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I understand your frustration. But there is some truth in it. With two boys at home they are constantly wrestling around with each other and dad. And there are a few other "boys" things... But truly crappy behavior. Well, there is no excuse for that. Like one of my neighbors son's smacked a boy in the face the other day and said to me "we where just playing." I called his mom and sent him home (he is 8). That is not "boys will be boys" that is bad behavior.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 10:33 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I agree with you when it is said in that context...that is not an acceptable excuse for misbehavior. But, when they come in from outside covered in mud w/ what appears to be war paint on their face and a stick in their hand calling it their sword...boys will be boys :-) and I just love my little boy
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 10:34 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I absolutely agree, lol.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:27 AM on May. 26, 2011

• What does "men will be men" mean?

I don't think gender is ever an acceptable excuse for bad behavior (from men, women, boys or girls)... heck, I don't think it's ever an acceptable excuse for dumb/lazy behavior (ie: Oh I'm a girl so I could never change my own tire!) Individuals have different strengths and personalities, but to dump it on their gender as a justification is a total cop-out.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:38 AM on May. 26, 2011

• true!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:29 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I agree as well, I have two boys and while there are somethings that can fall under "boys will be boys" (as sipn mom and sdks2011 mentioned)...this phrase is not acceptable as an excuse for poor behavior and lack of parental responsibility.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:36 AM on May. 26, 2011

• i agree! yes, my son is more active and into stuff than my daughter but he's not a bad kid, the ppl with bad kids use that as an excuse way too often
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:38 AM on May. 26, 2011

• yep..in that case girls wth be girls wen thar going razy as teen and getingk nocked up and action like hos.
    KRIZZ25

Answer by KRIZZ25 at 10:31 AM on May. 26, 2011