St. John's Wort - postpartum?

I took St. John's Wort to help with mild blues before I was pregnant. I wasn't depressed, but I've always been a little moody. haha. It really helped but I stopped taking it when I found out I was pregnant with #2. I want to resume taking it after the baby is born...

Is it something I can start immediately postpartum? I can't physically breastfeed so it's not a concern as far as getting into breastmilk. Also, does anyone know what a standard daily "dose" is? The bottle I have says to take 2 caplets (3) times daily, for a total of 900 mg. I don't think I ever took that many...6 pills a day seems like a lot!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Health

• What ever the bottle says is usually a good dosage. That's what it's tested at... Be careful though because if you are on any kind of BC SJW can really mess with that and any other medication you are on. Check with your doctor if you are on ANY Rx before you take it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:49 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Yes you can take it. You don't have to take that many pills if you don't want. Maybe take 3-4.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 7:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Thanks! I will definitely make sure I don't start taking it until I'm off any pain pills, laxatives, etc they may give me after the birth!
    Anonymous

• St john' wort is the most common herb to have interactions with other drugs so make sure all of ur dr's know you are on it everytime you get a script
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2008