What is a good time in the summer to put my stepdaughters down for bed?

Hello Ladies, I have 2 stepdaughters they are 7 yrs. old and 10 yrs old. what time is a good time to put them down to bed during the summer. Their usual school bedtime was 8:30pm. If I left it up to their Dad he would say 10:00pm. He has joint custody of his daughters so he gets them 2-3 days every week plus every other weekend. I feel that perhaps he feels a certain amount guilt for not getting to see them everyday so he is wanting them to stay up later. What are your thoughts on a good bedtime.

thank you!

stephanie

steph71white

Asked by steph71white at 11:06 AM on May. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• If you work, I would say no later than 9:30 on weekdays and 10:30 on weekends. That's what we do with SS (12)...DD (4) normal time is 9:00 and on weekends its 10:00.

This is year round since we work.

Kids still need sleep and just because they are on school break doesn't mean that they don't still need structure.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:10 AM on May. 26, 2011

• 9:00 sounds reasonable for those ages. If you know what time they go to bed at their mom's house it might be good to stick somewhat close to that for consistency.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:22 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Mine stay up until 10-11 in the summer.

Answer by gemgem at 11:23 AM on May. 26, 2011

• How are their morning schedules - will they still be getting up as early to go to daycare? If so their bedtime should stay the same. Also, what time is their bedtime during the rest of the week? Having a schedule really helps kids so if they can have the same bedtime at both homes it will benefit the girls and both sets of parents.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:32 AM on May. 26, 2011