Biting while nursing?

My DD is a couple days shy of one year old, and in the last couple of weeks she has taken to biting my nipples while nursing when she is sleepy. I've tried ouch, taking away the boob, NO NO, amongst other things. I am SURE you know how painful this is. I do not want to wean her, but this behavior must stop! Any suggestions?

LeahsMommy361

Asked by LeahsMommy361 at 11:25 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always tapped mine on the chin when I told her no.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:29 AM on May. 26, 2011

• That is when I stopped nursing,, when the teeth came I was out! At one she is probably ready for a sippy cup,, start with something yummy like 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 water,, you can pump and use your own milk as well,, good luck,,, the teeth and I did not get along,,LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:32 AM on May. 26, 2011

• give her a bottle of formula, i did that with both of my kids. they hated formula and they never bit me again.
    TaylorBaby

Answer by TaylorBaby at 11:29 AM on May. 26, 2011

• That might have to be my solution then! She loves her Sippy cup, we've even already moved on to one with a straw and she is doing great! But those two little teeth.... OUCH! Thanks ladies. Appreciated :)
    LeahsMommy361

Comment by LeahsMommy361 (original poster) at 11:35 AM on May. 26, 2011

• She can't suck and bite at the same time. If she starts to look like she's going to bite, I'd end the nursing session. If it was toward the start of the session, I'd resume in a few minutes. I nursed DD for 21 months and my twins for 56 months and this worked for me.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:38 AM on May. 26, 2011

• You mention it happens when she is sleepy. I found that as they fell asleep they would start to relax and lose the nipple and then bite in an attempt to get it back when they realized they were losing it. I remedied it with positioning. I would make sure they could not slip off the nipple by holding them a little more upright when they started to get sleepy. No more biting when I made sure to not let them slip off until they were fully asleep and I removed them myself. Good luck mama.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:42 AM on May. 26, 2011