Should twins be together in kindergarten or seperated?

my twins start kindergarten this fall. I was thnking it would been good for them to be seperated so they will be their own person not only known as the twin.

mommiedear

Asked by mommiedear at 7:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My sister and I were a lot better when we got separated. There were 2 problems: I was way ahead and I loved my sister so I would show her my answers (very innocently, I was 4) so she was not learning, and then the fact that she was losing self esteem because I was constantly praised and she wasn't. For myself, I was the least favorite at home but my teacher loved me so I felt special in class. As we grew older it also helped to be away from my sister because I got a chance to speak out without any fear that my sister would comment on any of my opinions to mom. I got to be myself in school!
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 11:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• in most states it is already where they are sept... my boys will in k-garden not pre-k...I think it helps them make new and own friedns...also with the teacher its less stress...getting them confused. and also they dont have to make one or the other feel bad. like "why cant you be like your brother"???

We are sept...them anyways. GL
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 7:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• my twin girls are going to be in kindergarden next year and i think i would like them in the same class. they've done really well in pre-k. they sometimes sit together sometimes are seperate, they don't care either way. kindregarden is going to be a big change for them even though most of the kids they all ready know ,but my youngest twin is really shy without her sister at first so i think them being together will help
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• also it will be easier then having to back and forth between classes if you volunteer at all
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 9:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• i think start them together, since it's the first year of elementary school (i guess some schools may have Pre K).

there were 8 sets of twins in my grade alone. they were all split at various times in my elementary school days, i don't think any for K.

but go with your gut feeling
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I think my twin brother and I did kindergarten together but then after that we always were in separate rooms. Neither of us minded. We still saw eachother on the playground.
    Anonymous

• In kindergarten maybe they should be together because it's a new experience, but in 1st grade separate them.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 9:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• if one of them is "mothery" or dominating over the other I say separate them just because I used to work with kids and we had some twins where 1 was the "leader" and the other didn't have any chance to make her own choices b/c her sister was doing it all day at school and at home.
    Anonymous

• Wow! In our home none of the siblings are separated for anything except ballet classes! LOL I can't imagine separating twins! Whew! Glad I homeschool.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 1:36 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I have two friends that each have a set of twins. One was insistent that the girls be separated and one insisted that they stay together. They are both doing well in school, but the twins that were separated are each making their own friends, while the two that are together tend to just stick with each other.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 9, 2008