Is this rude, tacky or perfectly normal?

You get invited to a BBQ. You tell the person having the BBQ yes you will be there. She says "Great! Bring your own chair and by the way, can I put you down to bring something?" meaning food. Now, I usually offer to bring something anyway, or I'll pick up some soda on the way but I was a bit taken aback at how I was asked if I was bringing anything. What do you think?

nmmama09

Asked by nmmama09 at 11:39 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I think it was crafty of her to invite you to an event she is hosting, then bascially say so what are you bringing? It says she wants to have an event but rely on everyone to bring something so she doesn't have to provide much if anything. If she had waited an extra second you would have offered is what I get out of your original post. She should have addressed it as a potluck occasion if she didn't want to have to provide the food but wanted to have a get together.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:47 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Perfectly normal.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:40 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Well i think it was a bit tacky to ask you to bring something,, most people offer when rsvping,,,but oh well, make something wonderful and have a great time,, I wouldn't address her over it.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:42 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Somewhat politically incorrect , but some people are hurting with the economy and so maybe that's why she was asked.
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 11:48 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Perfectly normal in our circle of friends, but I can see how others might find it tacky. We all just know each other so well and usually all bring the same dish that I would have asked "so will you be bringing your amazing potato salad like always?" or something like that.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:50 AM on May. 26, 2011

• We always bring something when we are invited to a bbq/cookout.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:40 AM on May. 26, 2011

• You could have said no... She wasn't saying, " ok you need to bring...." I say normal
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:41 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I think its perfectly normal. Usually when we have a big get together.. everybody brings a dish.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:42 AM on May. 26, 2011

• We always bring something anyways maybe you were taken aback at how she asked it?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:43 AM on May. 26, 2011

• normal.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:48 AM on May. 26, 2011