Awkward situation with cousins- How would you handle it?

My cousin's wife invited only a few family members and most of her friends to her son's communion party that was held in my aunt's house. I did not send a gift since I was not invited. A week later we attended another cousin's kid's communion party and the non-inviting cousin with her kids were there with a long puss on their face. No one said anything to her and she seemed very awkward how family oriented we were with our other cousin since she had a party and invited everyone in the family. Now my aunt is blowing off my mom since no one paid attention or said congratulations that their son had his communion. Wht do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• If she wanted family congrats she should have had the family at the party. The mom brought this on herself.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:51 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Even though only a few family members were invited other family members should have ackowledged the other child's communion by simply saying congrats at the second party.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:46 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I'd send a card and at least acknowledge her son's special day. She may be somewhat jealous of the attention the other cousin's child received and she may regret not inviting everyone for her son's party. You never know, she may have wanted to have a bigger party but didn't have the funds to pull it off forcing her to cut her list down, or she may not have realized she wanted the same for her son as the other cousin's child until after the fact.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:50 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I think she brought the awkward silence on herself.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:46 AM on May. 26, 2011

• She brought it on herself, but you could be the bigger person and recognize her son's communion. Why should the child suffer because his mom likes drama.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:46 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Why since she did not ackinowledge the fact to us ?? It is like I said very awkward but what goes around comes around , she brough tthis on herself...She never sent an announcement, or said anything on facebook or on e-mail or in person because were not invited and my brother was. Nice, really nice. Then I have to say congratulate and always be the bigger person to such a inconsiderate loser....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:51 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Funds? My mom gave her thousand dollars to help out with cleaning while my mom caregived with my dad who was really sick. So that throws out not having the money argument out the window. She had enough money to invite all her friends though.Just very snobby and very mean on her part.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:54 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I agree with pinkdragon36 and would have sent a card/gift card to the child as it was his special event, not the parents'. That totally eliminates any and all problems plus makes you the "better" person!
    InquiringMind

Answer by InquiringMind at 11:55 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Maybe she regrets it now. Be the bigger person and say something or send a card. You will feel better, and if not you can criticize her behind her back as much as you like or be passive aggressive and forget to invite her to your next party. You may never know the real reason for her selective invites, but it is not her son's fault. Move on and don't let this be one of those grudges that spoils all family events from now on.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:01 PM on May. 26, 2011