Medicare: Bill Clinton to Paul Ryan ~“I hope Democrats don’t use this as an excuse to do nothing.”... Do you see it as an excuse to do nothing?

“So anyway, I told them before you got here, I said I’m glad we won this race in New York,” Clinton told Ryan, when the two met backstage at a forum on the national debt held by the Pete Peterson Foundation. But he added, “I hope Democrats don’t use this as an excuse to do nothing.”

Ryan told Clinton he fears that now nothing will get done in Washington.

“My guess is it’s going to sink into paralysis is what’s going to happen. And you know the math. It’s just, I mean, we knew we were putting ourselves out there. You gotta start this. You gotta get out there. You gotta get this thing moving,” Ryan said.

Clinton told Ryan that if he ever wanted to talk about it, he should “give me a call.” Ryan said he would.

....

Former President Bill Clinton, still widely considered one of his party’s foremost politicians, said on Wednesday that Democrats should cut a “reasonable” deal with Republicans on Medicare savings rather than conclude from Tuesday’s upset in a special Congressional election that bashing Republicans on the issue is the key to a party comeback in 2012…

Mr. Clinton, with some passion, returned to the topic at the end of an hour-long interview. I think the Democrats are going to have to be willing to give up, maybe, some short-term political gain by whipping up fears on some of these things — if it’s a reasonable Social Security proposal, a reasonable Medicare proposal. We’ve got to deal with these things. You cannot have health care devour the economy.”

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 11:46 AM on May. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Briefly, I don't think the Dems needed an excuse. They've done nothing for quite sometime now, with the budget and now with this issue. The dem game right now is let the GOP make all the cuts and all the decisions, and then berate them for it and lie to the public about it. As is currently with Mediscare.
    It's just another day in hell, when Bill Clinton looks really good in comparison to what Dick's doing in office.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:09 PM on May. 26, 2011

• It also said:
    "If your objective is to leave in place these exceptionally low tax rates for the most rich Americans, then you are going to have to do transforming, dismantling, of basic commitments to our seniors, to the poor, to the elderly,” Mr. Geithner said. “There’s no alternative to that, and it’s not going to happen. We would never support it.”
    On stage he said:

Clinton threw a roundhouse right at Paul Ryan's plan, approved by the House, to turn the health care program for the elderly into a voucher system. Not only would that approach fail to cut costs, he said "people will use less, get sicker and die quickly. Or they will be poorer because they'll have to spend so much of their money on health care."

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/05/cameras-catch-paul-ryan-and-bill-clinton-chat-about-medicare-and-#ixzz1NTdBbvBS
    CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 12:33 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My first thought is why didn't Clinton do something about it when he was in office.

I am one of those that would be affected by the new plan...I am FOR it. Someone is going to have to be willing to make a sacrifice. Politicians are going to have to be willing to make the sacrifice. I find it very telling the Democrats are doing NOTHING to help save Medicare and Social Security.

I will be writing fat donation checks to the politicians that are willing to fall on their swords and sacrifice their political careers to help turn our country around. I don't care if the are Democrat or Republican.....I am all about the FISCAL issues.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:46 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Sounds to me like Clinton and Obama really don't see eye to eye. Also sounds like Clinton can still play with the best of them. He threw Ryan under the bus to the crowd without blinking right after he talked to him.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:47 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Charlan, the question is "Do you see it [election that has been marked as a vote against GOP Medicare]as an excuse to do nothing [to Medicare]....

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 12:47 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Yes. Dems are lazy pansies. But you also posted a lengthy article which I found interesting. I did like Clinton and found him one of the lesser lazy democrats. I honestly don't think that "wraps it up" but Clinton appears to know his party all too well.
    CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 12:57 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I honestly don't think that "wraps it up" but Clinton appears to know his party all too well.

I give him more credit in some areas today than I EVER gave him as President..  I would like to be a fly on the wall if Clinton and Ryan ever "got together" to talk about these issues.  Anything that came out of such a meeting, IMO~Would be a TRUE meeting in the middle..

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 1:00 PM on May. 26, 2011

Laws originate in Congress, so that's where any change to Medicare has to come from not the President, who can only state his desires and submit his plans. As Clinton was leaving office,back when the budget surplus was so large, economists were predicting budget surpluses into the distant future .Bill cautioned Congress about wasting the surplus(BUSH), and strongly suggesting that the best thing they (Congress) could do with the surplus was fix Medicare.
    So maybe Clinton didn't "fix" Medicare, but it wasn't because he didn't want to or try to.

CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 1:09 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Well Duh CHarlan. Of course they originate in Congress. We have known for quite a long time there was a problem with Medicare and Social Security. He had an opportunity to address it before things were at a crisis point. He did nothing. We have to remember the difference between a budget surplus and no debt and we should have a little cash stashed for disasters like 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina. He isn't the only president that kicked it down the road though.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:45 PM on May. 26, 2011

• It's just another day in hell, when Bill Clinton looks really good in comparison to what Dick's doing in office.

I hate to say it, but Bill Clinton was not all that bad. Not the best, but he worked from the center with reps and was actually more fiscally responsible than Bush. But he has some advantages also. He was able to govern during a peacetime economy. Rode on the tech bubble that was spurned by Reagan's tax cuts and it never burst until the end of his second term. Just in time for Bush to get blamed for it. If Bush would have cut spending (domestic, the war on terror was necessary) when he cut taxes we would not be in quite the shape we are in.
    The Clinton era was just another example of the fact that a house divided can not spend.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:30 PM on May. 26, 2011